Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Has anyone ever fished Slippery Rock creek in Slippery rock PA ?

We are going to visit family in late October and i was wandering if anyone could make some suggestions on where to fish the creek and what the fly's of choice would be for that time of the year ? We have caught some nice size trout while bait fishing off old Studabaker Road just outside of Slippery Rock but I have never ff it before. Is there any other fishable trout streams close to Slippery Rock that anyone knows of. We will be there for a week and will need somewhere to fish at least a few time's. Iam not looking forward to paying for the out of state pa fishing lic though. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Slippery

Hi Orvis,

You have a better shot at getting information from the PA Fly Fish message board. I am from SE PA so I can't help with Slippery.

www.paflyfish.com

Bill
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Hey Orvis. A good starting point would be contact one of the local outfitters. The only one I know of in the area is Neshannock (sp?) Creek Fly Shop in Volant, PA. The phone number I have is 724-533-3212. It's been about 7 years since I have fished that area but I do remember Traverse Creek in the Raccoon Creek State Park, Little Beaver Creek and Oil Creek are all in the area. Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Thanks for the info.

The pa flyfish web site looks interesting. I will check it out this weekend when I have a little more time. I have also heard about oil creek in that area. Thank you all for the help and info.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 AM

You will get good info at the paflyfishing site. If you don't want to register to make inquiry, go to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission website. Use this link: http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/county.htm
They have maps that guide you to waters for trout. Look at the info for Lawrence, Mercer, Butler and Venango Counties, at least.

In October, the smallmouth fishing will be good and the Fall Stockings are presently scheduled for early October, so you should have good fishing for trout in the Delayed Harvest sections of Slippery Rock Creek. The flyshop in Volant mentioned is right on Neshannock Creek, which also has a Delayed Harvest Area and should be stocked. Stocking lists can be found also at the PFBC site. Also in that area is Cool Springs Creek, again with a special regs area that gets a Fall stocking. Finally as was mentioned, Oil Creek would be a nice destination with a bit more of a drive, also stcked in early October.

One more thing: if you have never fished for Steelhead and your trip is late October, there is a good chance a run will be on by then. The trip to Erie is probably just around an hour and a half and may be well worth the drive just to say you did it. And should you get a "fish on" you will get a thrill you won't soon forget.
Good luck.

Last edited by Jack M.; 04-04-2007 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: The white flies are in August- deleted reference.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Thank's Jack.

I have been to Erie but havent fished for steel head. That sounds interesting. I do have an interest in oil creek and I will check the web sight. Thank you for the great info.