Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up For any1 fishing salt in the south east!

I found a pretty darn cool forum dedicated to the Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Carolina's coast. Since all of us are dedicated to finding out what's biting, where and what there biting on this site is a pretty good 1. There are some steller guys on the board and there are also a quite a few different guides. This forum is mainly dedicated to regions within Florida but there are a places for other members to post about neighboring areas. There's also plenty of posting's in regard to fishing local lakes.

Byron, I figured since you have now become addicted to your Mac's you would enjoy looking at another forum dedicated to salt! Sorry to contribute to your newest addiction! I figured you of all would appreciate drooling over the pics, and theres plenty of em'. I haven't seen alot of post in regards to tarpon, but I think it's just because the season hasn't officially started....Plenty of cobia and red fish pics for now to drool over! Also a few repors based out of Port St. Joe's......

I think I've managed some advertising/marketing while on the site too, paying my debt to ya! Just telling them if they ever make it up, to make a pit stop in good ol Townsend to a wordclass fly shop, we call our own!

http://www.inshore-fishing.com/forum/index.php?&CODE=00

PS~Byron can u shoot me an email in regards to a tarpon leader make up! Also, I've probably asked you a dozen times now, where are the wadable spots in the area so I can google them up and take a peek!

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Brett,

I don't make my own tarpon leaders. Our guide takes care of that. You will probably be using 60 to 80 pound shock tippet, 16", tied to a 20# class tippet with a bimini twist on each end and then about 5 feet of 60 pound mono for a butt section. The shock tippet helps keep the rough mouth tarpon from rubbing through. The class tippet is the breaking point so you don't lose your fly line which happened to me last year. The guides started using new knots last year. One is a Slim Beauty but honestly I prefer to leave that up to the experts.

For wade fishing I would go to Port St. Joe, drive out past Cape San Blas to the State Park and wade fish on the bay side. You'll find hard sand there and hopefully plenty of redfish, trout and no telling what else. Watch out for sharks and rays. If you shuffle your feet the rays will move out of the way. If you step on one, well, you will wish you hadn't. You'll need a Florida Saltwater License. You can buy that on line at a reasonable price.

Byron
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Leaders

Unless you are really wanting to fish for records or are taking part in a tournament, traditional tarpon leaders are not needed. I typically use about 6 feet of 50 or 60lb butt section. To that I will use either a slim beauty or blood knot and attach 20-24 inches of 20lb tippet, I use Mason but Rio Hard Mono will also work. Then use either a slim beauty or blood knot to attach about 20 inches of 60-80lb flourocarbon for a shock tippet. When tied correctly the Slim Beauty is very strong, you can find directions on midcurrent.com. This leader turns over well and is very simple to tie and eliminates the bulky knots that can spook shy tarpon. I have been using this system for about 6 years and caught a bunch of fish on them. Hope this helps.

Drew
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 PM

Default slim beauty

Good informative post guys. Directions for Slim Beauty with voice go to:
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/k...im_beauty.aspx

Started doing this last year. I even downloaded it to my palm pilot in case I forgot, and could practice it at camp.

I need to chase some tarpon, my boat is about there as far as ready for a FL trip.

Tight lines,
Flat Fly'n
Old 04-10-2007, 12:14 AM

All those places mentioned might have good fishing, but at the risk of being called a "homer", none of it can even approach Southeast Louisiana, particularly in terms of numbers. We're very spoiled here - for example, most saltwater fishermen consider bluefish to be a prized target...here, they're trash fish. It's an embarassment of riches, and the fly-fishing game here is relatively new. I'm about to get some touch-up work done on the ol' boat, and once the weather settles down, we'll be out most every weekend. I want to see if I can get a "triple" in one day - red, speckled trout, and a flounder, all on a fly.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 AM

Default I'll bring the frying pan and seasoning

Now I know why Redfish were almost "fished out". What a great eating fish. I hope to head down to SC for the same triple in May.. can't wait!

Flat Fly'n

Got any advise on a place in LA for that same triple? Thanks. Nothing fancy, just a place to clean the boat, fish, and myself in that order....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Default I am tempted!

I'm close to making an offer to someone with a boat! A free 6 night stay at a vacation house in lou of bringing there boat....No, really I'd probably end up in trouble....Not due to a stranger being on the trip, just for the simple fact I would spend, oh lets just say a good 80% or at least what wheather would permit me being on the water! I'm beginning to wonder if I should even take the newly purchased rod!!!!

My wife shakes her head in the corner!!! HA!!!! In all seriousness I'd love to have a boat available, and brave the the salt myself. The info is so good I believe a two man crew with very little research could do quite well!

It's still a few months away, I plan on doing some con-ing!!!