Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Bamboo Rod meeting?

Has anyone information about a rumored meeting for Bamboo Flyrods coming up? I have been interested in this and would like to attend...

Any news would bew greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Jonathan
Old 04-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Several cane rod enthusiasts will be gathering in Townsend beginning on April 18th for a few days of casting, talking cane, seeing every one's rods, fishing and in general just having a good time. CZkid who posts on this board is sorta leading the group here. My understanding is that around 20 or so people will attend with rods to trade, sale or just cast. Should be a great time. PM me for specifics in interested. But be Careful! The cane rod bug bites hard and recovery time is very slow at best and most likely becomes a life long affliction that has to be lived with.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Thank you for the information... I will make it a point to drop by.

I don't mind that kind of bug; better than the gambling one I suppose. And so far I have not been entirely satisfied with the feel and limits of graphite rods I have made... looking for something more earthly. All the technology and "progress" seems to be missing an element. I think cane may be the "missing link" I have been searching for.

It would be great to meet some people who have a passion for the traditions and to see examples of the craft.

Regards,

Jonathan
Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Payne102,
Where will the cane rod enthusiast be gathering in Townsend? At LRO?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Most are staying at Dock's beginning Wednesday evening. Of course they will be at LRO every day. Good opportunity to learn more about bamboo from some real fanatics and see some great old classic rods. PM me for more info and contact information.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Bamboo rod meeting

Is that this Wednesday the 18th?
Thanks,
John
Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Sorry about that. Yes the 18th of April (next week). Should be 20 or 25 guys there.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM

We'd be happy to have one and all. Given the weather, we'll not start fishing until lunchtime for the most part... so there will be lots of time to talk rods and gear, and try out same.

Cane rods aren't for everyone, but for the laid back crowd, they are the way to go. They are also an absolute natural for the Smoky Mtn crowd.

My plans are to leave Huntsville early on Wed and get to Townsend about noon. I'll be at LRO some in the PM getting thing set up, and getting the scoop on how the streams are fishing. Lots of Yankees coming in to the Bash and they are hot to fish!!!

Ralph