Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Monster Brown: Slickrock

I know Slickrock is in North Carolina, but felt that it had a better chance at responses in the Smoky Mountain section! Besides that they honor a Tennessee license on Slickrock.
Anyway, I had a guy in my office the other day who says he caught a 37-1/2" brown out of Slickrock in 1980. It weighed 14+ lb on the scale at the Crossroads of Time Grocery. He tried to get the state record for the fish and NC would not honor it, for some reason. He had it mounted, kept it for years, then decided it was too big and in the way on the houseboat he lives on. ~ Four years he ago he took the fish to the Crossroads of Time and gave it to them to display at the store. The store has become the motorcycle haven for the dragon duelers (or was that deathwishers?), and has been sold 3 or 4 times since. The fish has dissappeared and so far this guy can't find a picture of the fish. Did any of you see it hanging in there? I never did, but must confess I rarely went in there once it became the Dragon's Den. I believe the story, (too far fetched to have been fabricated!) but would love to see the fish. would love to have it hanging on my wall, or on display at Little River! Anyway did anyone see the fish?
Tight lines,
John
Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM

The only fish I remember seeing were the 4lb bluegills on the wall
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM

As a rider myself, I'm not sure who has the bigger deathwish - Dragon Slayers or waterfall climbing brookie hunters.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Default The Dragon

Hey Fishlicker,
There are some moments climbing those waterfalls........ I ride through Deals Gap alot, probably 40 times a year. Through the summer I bet half the time we get caught behind a wrecked motorcycle, usually waiting to get them out to the bridge to be airlifted out. You don't have to be doing anything outrageous there to get hurt, plenty of out of control riders to get you even so. I used to go over there in my old 2002 tii, loved it and all those roads over there. Too many people over there now with no idea what their limits are.
Anyway, I do make sure to get out of their way immediately when I hear them coming and hope the rest who travel that road will do the same. Like Cades Cove there are ample and often pullouts.
Best,