Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

View Poll Results: Do you tie your own?
I never tie my own. 6 10.53%
I tie 25% of the flies that I fish with. 12 21.05%
I tie 50% of the flies that I fish with. 9 15.79%
I tie 75% of the flies that I fish with. 18 31.58%
I don't buy flies anymore. 12 21.05%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM

I have tied off and on over the last few years, unfortunately, there seem to be some little old ladies in Sri Lanka who can tie a whole lot better than I could ever hope to tie. The icon posted above is a perfect example of tying time mis-spent. I worked really hard to perfect a single pattern figuring that it would cover a large percentage of my dry fly needs. It is a biot bodied parachute. After months of practice they come out pretty nice. The problem is, they don't seem to be very effective in the fish catching department. So here I spent a good number of hours of my finite time here above the grass perfecting a nice looking but for the most part useless fly.

So my tying is now pretty simple. I tie quite a few soft hackles because it seems like no matter how crappy they look, they seem to catch fish for me. And occasionally I'll tie up a few sparkle duns/comparaduns because they are easy to tie, cheap, relatively indestructible and, unlike my biot-bodied parachutes, they seem to catch fish.

Pretty much everything else comes from one of the following places: LRO for mostly everything, Catskill Flies in Roscoe NY (catskill style dries, and a few comparaduns), Trout Hunter in Idaho (CDC flies), Colemans Fly Shop in upstate NY (a really good caddis pattern and some great midges) and Blue Ribbon Flies in Montana for the occasional batch of sparkle duns.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM

I tie about 75% of the flies I use. Nothing complex. For the rest, I call Paula or stop by a little shop in Norris. I started tying about a year after I started fly fishing. I really enjoy tying my own flies, especially experimenting with patterns and coming up with a ringer. Wish I had more time to devote to it.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 PM

I tie most of the flies I fish with. I'm one of those personalities who finds a new hobby then devotes an extreme amount of time and energy into trying to perfect it. It could be a new fly pattern it could be researching the internet trying to find an innovative tying material. I lose a lot of sleep but I can tie a pattern or two that I'm no longer ashamed of
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM

I started tying in january after taking the beginner class at LRO. I also doubled my education by attending the free tying demos. those were priceless. all the tiers were absolutely wonderful. steve brown even sat with me for almost an hour after his demo was supposed to be over and taught me all about biots and helped me solve some other problems I was having. if anyone ever sees him, tell him trevor said thanks. I have a whole different perspective on buying flies now. on one hand, I hate paying the money when I know I could just tie them up myself. but then again, I realize that the price is pretty cheap now that I know what goes into making it (well, some flies at least). I mean, if you asked me to tie you a yellow stimulator, and make it nice and good looking, I'd figure it would be worth about $5 of my time. but then again, I can't just crank that fly out like some people.......yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 PM

ttas67 -- I agree with you about Steve Brown -- he's very patient and an excellent instructor. I took a flytying class long ago from the CRCTU, and Steve was one of the instructors. All of the guys I've met from that TU chapter are very willing to help new-comers and old-timers as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Default The easy ones

I have tied most everything over time, but it just seems to take to much time and effort to tie the drys. Plus, I can't do as well on the drys, especially the parachutes.

My 2 favorite flys (by far) are gold-ribbed hare's ears and pheasant tails. I always tie these. Even if I am going to tie a new nymph, I always buy a few to use as an example of what to shoot for.

I always buy flys at LRO when I stop in. It helps me to feel like I am helping to support the fishing report and the message board if nothing else. Plus Daniel and Paula always have a few good suggestions on something new to try.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM

I am learning to tie my own flys. I did not realize these flies sold in fly shops are made in China. There is just something that just doesn't feel right about catching a beautiful American spec on a fly tied in a chinese labor shop. Oh well, I guess thats just the "good ol boy" side of me coming through.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM

I tie a few, but I find most of the best ones in the rhododendron bushes
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM

OK..... I went and got the White River Fly Tying Kit.

Lefty, I didn't know you were so famous....

I'm excited to get started.....
Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM

I stopped buying flies the year I picked up fly fishing (which has only been about 9 years) I used to frequent LRO during the winters when they were at the old location to pick up tidbits and patterns from the local guys, everything else was from reading and doing through books...course all my materials came from LRO (sometimes some great dubbing came from my cat, but thats another story) I saw fly tying as another facet of the sport and as an extenstion of entemology. While I can't spout the latin its good to know the bugs which translates to the flies I'm using and when.
When I get into the streamers, I just steal from my buddy Rusty