Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Why we fish?

Ever since Byron touched on this last week, Ive thought about it ever time my mind goes slack. Why do we fish? Why are flyfishermen different from hardcore hardware guys? I mean, honestly, flyfishers are truly different people. We're unique. Ok, Im gonna share some of my half-baked ideas on "Why we fish".

1. I think in native tribes, maybe labor was specialized. Some men hunted, some fished. Maybe thats why some guys today would rather chase deer than brookies.

2. Ok, no more theories. Ya know, no matter what stupid reason I come up w/ it is no where close to "Just to catch fish." Aint that weird? I fish, but not to catch fish. The people. All ff I know are awsome people. We are the last "hippies" or something along that (blue)line. The drift. There is something peacful about just fishing. Maybe thats it.

I fish b/c I have to. No...I fish to figure out why I fish . Im goin somewhere, Im on a journey to and unknown destination. Or, maybe, my journey is the destination. No matter what in the words of Jake: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the day- sieze the moment"

Go ahead, share why you fish or why you think we fish.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 AM

Unhappy

Part of the mystery of "why we fish" for me includes the insane thought every now and then that crosses my mind, usually on the way home from the stream, that I could wake up one day and decide to give it up forever. This crazy notion does not necessarily follow a skunking, sometimes it follows one of those spectacular outings, too. The thought passes quickly, but it seems very real when it occurs. Does anyone else ever experience this?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:25 AM

When i was younger and when i first started fly fishing, i will admit that i fished to catch fish. Nowadays, i could really care less if i catch fish (although i'm not gonna lie catching is good). To me, like many others, it's a chance to get away from the "real" world and forget about my problems. Especially here recently, it's given me a chance to collect my thoughts and in some sense, get re-energized.

Another reason i go is because of the comradery between my family and friends with whom i fish. It's a great thing that fishing has brought us closer together between our many exploits on the stream. Some of the best memories i have involve fly fishing, but not really catching fish.

Craig
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM

I personally like the solitude the experience gives me. Standing in a stream takes you away from the rat race, the gripes at the office and the other weight we carry on our shoulders. It also reminds us of happier times, especially from our childhood, when we would be in those same streams with our fathers and grandfathers who have now crossed over that stream to the other side.

Now I find even more enjoyment as I spend time with my son who loves the sport as much as I do. It's seeing the look on his face when he catches a "monster" 6 inch rainbow on a fly he has tied himself and him asking when we can come back when we're leaving. Although catching fish is the fun part, it is not the main objective of my trips. It's the peace and tranquility of the surroundings that are the most important.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Wow...great minds think alike - I was thinking of starting a thread on this very topic yesterday - just got too busy around the house. It's a great topic.

I think in my case, WHAT I fish for is just as big a factor as WHY. When I started as a young child, the species didn't matter. Later, as I got a little older, I was strictly a bass fisherman - I was that way all the way through college - growing up, I didn't have a boat, so I couldn't take advantage of the wonderful saltwater fishing around here, which is what gets most of the attention around here. Later on, as a young adult, I could afford to take a boat out, and I got into inshore saltwater fishing - speckled trout and redfish mostly. I still enjoy it, but now I'm focusing a little more on quality (and exposing my kids to fishing). I also discovered small-stream trout fishing last year, and now I'm an addict - we might even hop in the car tonight and drive up, even though the forecast doesn't look too good. Anyway, the point is that it is interesting to track the progression.

Why fish? Because it's fun is the short answer, I guess....
Old 04-13-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Sharing and memories

This is something I wrote for a fishing friend when we moved away a few years ago. We still get together and fish at times. I think it sums up a lot of my reason for fishing.

Flies, Lines & Trophies

We have talked about the deep waters of life and decided that God knew best. So we left the deep pools to Him and concentrated on the faster water. A place where dry flies move fast, and His marvelous creation has but little time to make a decision. We have fished tailwaters and mountain streams. We have laughed and enjoyed meals and stories, and created some stories of our own. We guard them intensely for they are the true trophies. We love the challenge of selecting and casting the fly; the strike; feeling the tug on the line. I am so grateful to my friend for he has given me a treasure no other man can possess. Itís not gold nor money. It canít be passed on to others except by my sharing it. It is draped in glorious sunrises and sunsets. It echoes with laughter and moments of joy. It is tied with flies and unrolls like fly line in a perfect cast. It is surrounded by Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroats, and Brookies. It brings me joy and tranquility. And when I am old, I will still have it. Like wine it becomes more valuable as it ages, and when I can no longer get out of bed, it will still provide great pleasure. Thank you friend for this treasure - this treasure chest of memories, it could never be replaced.

Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

for the challenge
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Like the others who have responded to this thread, I have to analyze my pursuit of fish from the beginning to try to answer the Why question. My first encounter with fishing was as a twelve year old watching others fish for brim in a VA creek near Charlottesville. My father was a career Army Officer, and we moved and lived all over; he was not an outdoorsman, but did support my fledgling efforts at hunting and fishing. When offered the chance to fish a bit that day, I took it, and have fished ever since. From VA to New Mexico, and there I first was exposed to flyfishing, in an alpine setting, Fenton Lake, above Jemez Spgs, where an old man with a rowboat took pity on me trying to chuck a fly from the shore and took me with him in the evening to cast to rising trout. The lake was boiling, and even I caught fish; pretty much a flyfisher since, although there was that bass phase with home-made float tubes, minnows and a fly rod in strip pits in SE Kansas. Next real exposure was bass and other warmwater fish in central KY, and a gradual return to trout. Now make an annual Western trip, and get into the Smokies and the Clinch as often as I can. I do know Why I flyfish: because it is the purest, next to noodling, thank you no, form of fishing. Nuff for now. Skip
Old 04-13-2007, 12:30 PM

I fish for the past. I fish to catch a tiny spec and see in it what the men who crossed over into these mountians seen hundreds of years ago. I fish to hear the rumble of a mountian stream. I fish to see a dry fly explode on top of a crystal clear pool. I fish to have stories to lie about for years. I fish because these are my mountians. God bless the fly fisherman!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM

My grandfather introduced me to the Smokies when I was about 4 and taught me patience: He placed a watermelon in the stream and said we will wait until it has cooled. The Smokies have never left my heart.

I fly fish the Smokies because it allows me to escape. Where I live I can go catch 40 lb redfish if I want to be surrounded by 50 guide boats and wait in line to launch my boat. I can share the stream with like minded folk that respect one another for why they came.

I marvel at all that God has done and say who am I (Job 38-40). I watch my Caddis float and get sipped. Sometimes I get distracted by the beautiful flower, flitting bird, falling leaf, the sounds, the smells, the sun light filtering through the trees, and so forth. But I always marvel that the water keeps on coming.

Fly fishing is an excuse to do that and to develop friendships.

And if it were not for the above reasons I would probably use getting a kick out of watching the "tubers" to go fly fishing.