Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Cause I have to

This is a question that I have never really been able to get an exact anwser for.

Many of you know me from the Orvis store in Sevierville. I moved here from MO in 05' to manage the fly fishing department. Before that I had a real job and traveled a lot, but fly fishing was always on my mind, night and day, I couldn't get enough. It doesn't really matter what species I catch either, as long as it is on a fly rod and preferably moving water. The year before moving here I racked up 25,000 miles on my new truck driving to different fishing destination in the midwest. I would fish from sun up to sun down, by myself and wouldn't even stop to eat lunch. It was like a bad addiction or something.

Now after being in beautiful east TN for well over a year and fishing 90 to 100 days a year, I still don't have the anwser. But I seldom fish sun up to sun down and would rather have a little company while on the stream to share the experience and don't mind teaching rather than fishing. I guess I grew up as a fisherman in some way. I still get irritable if I haven't been able to fish for a week or so, just ask some of my friends.

I get to play with fly fishing stuff all day long, but still don't know why I enjoy flyfishing so much. It is a release, challenge, get-a-way, refreshing. I don't know it makes me who I am. I want people when I die to say yeah Kris he was a fly fisherman.

Whatever the reason you do, just do it because fly fishing is a fantastic sport, pastime, hobby, and way of life. By the way I must say I love East TN, and may never leave, the fishing is amazing here and you've got it all.

Kris

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM

1) Because anything else is just wasted time.

2) Genetics: (has to be) My father and grandfathers were outdoorsmen.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Why we fish

For me it is a lot of things. I grew up fishing, first with a cane pole and bait, the spin casting, spinning and bait casting tackle with artificial lures, jigs etc. I fished with my dad, we had some good times. We rarely caught much, but we ate vienna sausages and snacks and talked some too. We fly fished for Bluegills once in a while (which as a kid seemed absurd even compared to the ultralight rod!) We moved to a farm and I could fish every day, often did during the 8-9 months when the fishing was good in KY. I could think then about anything in the world while fishing and still do! Except for that moment when a fish would take and I managed to hook it; for that few moments I would be completely part of the wild world of the fish, I still love it. I love them all if they fight back, and if they are a little bigger and harder to get to the hand (or net if too big) then all the better, for the sensation lasts a little longer. I had always said that I would move to Knoxville or Asheville if I had the chance (for the mountains), the chance came along in the early 90's and I knew I would have to learn to fish for trout, and with a flyrod........... for the challenge and the rythm. It requires more focus to wade a wave a flyrod, when connected with flyrod you are more on even footing with the fish, such a rush. Its a good excuse to get out in the woods and to really spend time there not just walking through. No, with the flyrod in your hand you can actually stand there in the creek and have a bullet proof excuse for doing it! You're fishing! I have to admit I pick up the Hardware sometimes, in fact more than I used to because I have a few friends who fish for bass and they can't use a flyrod. I do take the flyrod with me though, and sometimes catch a few bass, still love them, they hit like a freight train!
The bottom line is the time to think (or not) and the momentary release from all worldly responsibilities when fighting a fish, a moment to admire, then back in the stream! I better stop I could ramble for hours!
Tight lines,
John
Old 04-13-2007, 10:57 PM

Default A million reasons

I think the reason we fish is as varied as we are as individuals. But I do think there are a couple of "built in" needs that we have that fishing can satisfy.

I think we have a need to control aspects of nature. Some people like to call turkeys, ducks, even crows. Getting a wild animal to react to you in a manner you prescribe is a rush. Catching fish, especially on your own terms seems to fulfil that need.

Secondly, we are somehow drawn to water. Lakes, rivers, beaches, and for some, even golf courses are coveted places, loved by most. People build pools to party beside, even if they don't swim in them. Moving water seems especially relaxing. Everyone loves waterfalls.

Fishing, and trout fishing in particular satisfy these needs.

Add to that our memories of family and friends, and the new relationships we form, the mental vacations we can take from our worries by focusing on a single purpose... get a strike... and it is a powerful elixer.

And we get to wear cool hats that we our wives/girlfriends won't let us wear nowhere else.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Default maurer

Chris,
Tried your blog and could not get in. Have you shut it down?...... temporarily?
Best,
John
Old 04-14-2007, 02:07 PM

yeah I'm in the process of switching over to a real web site called flyfishtennessee.com

Kris

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 PM

A few years back I loaded up my tent and some gear one April weekend and camped at the Elkmont camprgound. After a great day of fishing I was setting around my campfire and got out a pamphlet for the Elkmont campground area.

I had a pencil in my hand and I wrote these words on the pamphlet......

"If a person can not find solitude and peace here, you will never find it"

Last year while on a family camping trip to the Smokies, my 20 year old daughter found that pamphlet and she was the first person to have ever seen those words.

She asked me about it (when I wrote it, why, etc....) and I shared with her what I get out of fishing. I tried to explain to her, there are other things to catch out here besides fish.

I always return my fish to the stream, but the other things I catch........I keep with me and will never return them.

I think she understood................
Old 04-15-2007, 11:18 PM

Default why we fish

the mountains send water in streams---the stream water is new --the ancient stream beds hold the streams and let them flow into rivers.It is the sound and beauty of the new water that holds fish...it is the sound and beauty that holds us---the stream,flows,lonely,so we are attracted--a fish is caught---we compete with the stream and the nature of entomology---we release the fish--we fish ,because ,the stream tugs at our hearts-telling us-to return--because it is the quiet and the roar of the clear water that makes us find what we can in these beautiful places to soothe the lost virtues of life--it is kind of religious---it is basic-----
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 AM

I "fish" because if I tell someone that I want to spend the weekend standing in water and looking around they will think I am being silly. But "fishing", ahhh, that has a "purpose". Heaven forbid, in this day and age, that we just go outside and be still. Also, I find that when I am fishing, I am only concentrating on one insignificant thing, that is, watching my fly, and all other problems and concerns cease to exist for that time. I think that's called meditation.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Default I Fish, therefore I Am.

There are 2 reasons that I fish. The first is when I'm fishing, especially wading a creek, I feel like an 8 year old boy doing something the adult world wouldn't really approve of.

The second is a little more serious. Since my wife died, fishing is the only time that I can truly forget, if only for a few hours. In the kitchen, we had both picked out a picture of the other to put on the shelf. She picked one of me in Canada, standing on the cabin's porch holding a stringer. My hair is all over the place and I have on an old pair of jeans and a tee with "Punk Flamingos" on the front. I asked her why she picked that one, and she said, "That's easy, you never look happier than when you're fishing."