Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Rio clouser fly line

Does anyone have experience with this flyline. I am looking for a new line for bass ( Smallies and Largemouth) for my 6wt. Sage XP. I will probably overline it with a 7wt. unless the 6wt line is already a half size bigger like some others Rio makes. I am currently using a SA GPX DT 6wt. but need more distance out of the line and better turnover on big flies.
I am hoping some of you Striper guys have some experience with it.
Also, Does anyone use a straight(untapered) flourocarbon leader for streamers?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Rio Clouser

Hey Gary,
I have it on an 8 wt and 10 wt, and plan on putting it on my 6wt xi2. I love it on the 8 and 10 (Scott STS's) It loads quickly ignores the wind (of course better on the 10 wt!) Shoots great. I think the XP will handle it fine. LRO my have one in the shop to try out.
Anyway,
I bet you will really like it.
Best,
John
Old 04-13-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks John, I got some other good recommendations on this line by Appal. Angler and read a little on Rio's site. I'm not crazy about brightly colored flylines but Bass aren't as spooky as trout so I'll probably go with the 6wt clouser line on an extra spool.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Gary, It's good for big 6 - 10" poppers but it's overkill on medium sized stuff. I have it available for guests that have a hard time turning over long leaders or medium to big flies. Other uses for it would be heavy nymphing from a driftboat. What do you have in mind for it?

Straight flourocarbon leaders? You betcha. But, if you're having trouble with turnover you may be better off with a tapered leader. Unless you're using 30lb test.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Rio line

Rusty, I am looking for a better line for my Bass rod to throw those #4 and larger Bass poppers and streamers. The DT line (SA XPS) I have on my mid arbor reel and currently in use, is getting worn (both ends). I reversed it a couple of years ago.
I had a worn area on a line a few years ago that broke when setting the hook and the fish, leader and half my flyline continued downstream. I was wade fishing the Pigeon river above Newport.
I use a tapered leader for all Topwater flies, but wanted to try just using a straight Flour. leader for streamers to get them down quicker.
By the way, I went after work today and fished until dark. Same place I went a few weeks ago and they were "HOT!!" Caught 7 on several different streamers and used a 7-8 ft 2X flour. tippet leader. It worked pretty good, on the smaller streamers but would "bounce" the line on anything longer or heavier. I'll send ya a PM with more picts. Gary
Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 AM

I have the clear intermediate Clouser line on a 9 weight, it rocks.

Grumpy
Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Clouser floating

Gary,
I am not crazy about the bright line either, but the bass don't seem to mind. It throws bass bugs and divers well, along with deceivers. I would go with the intermediate or sink tip for deeper work. I think it handles great though, it replaced a sage wf on my 8wt and is much more manageable than the Sage was. I could not throw big flies with the Sage for nothing! I use that 6wt only with a sink tip for trout, the floating line will be for smallies, even smallie poppers can be fairly good sized and wind resistant. You know more often than not the wind blows on the open water.
Best,
John