Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-13-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Cane Creek Stockers

Has anyone ever fished for stockers in Cane Creek inthe northern part of Van Buren co. ?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Default cane creek fishing

Never fished the river, but have often wondered if the river would support trout. Do you fish for Smallies inside Fall Creek Falls Park? Above or below the Falls? Cane Creek Falls that is. I'm hoping to camp down there again this year and that would be a definite + for me to pursue.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:48 PM

Default park

The creek gets three stockings in the spring by July they are mostly gone and the water is too warm. I have caught alot on spinning gear but this is my first year fly fishing for them. I guess i'm a little confused on how to catch them. As for Cane Creek Falls I know that smallies live in that water. I have seen a few that came out of the hole below Cane Creek Falls but I have never personally fished it. If you will have time to travel about 12 miles north of the park I will show you some smallie water that is alot more productive. P.M. me if you are interested.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 AM

In my experience with small stream stocked trout, They are not very picky with what they eat. I have found sticks and rocks in their belly whenever I've kept some to eat. I guess thats why walmart sells so many jars of green and pink marshmellow trout bait. If you are now fly fishing for them, try drifting a small hairs ear nymph and a peach egg fly under an indicator or they will usually nail a small # 8 black wooly bugger as well as anything. Cast it across and let it swing in the current. At the end of the swing, let it sit for a few moments before stripping it back.
They will get more cautious the longer they stay in the stream and you have to spend more time matching hatches.

I will PM you when I come down there camping. I spend as much time if not more chasing Smallies as I do trout. I have a sister outside McMinnville that I was hoping to visit next month but the past extreme cold weather last week caused thousands of $ of damage to their trees on their nursery so I am delaying visiting till later in the summer. Thanks for the invite.