Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
Looks like a paraleps to me.
RR-

Perhaps, but Paraleptophlebia hind wings are characterized by lack of costal angulation, unlike this specimen, which seems to have rather sharply defined costal angulation.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 PM

taxon, what is that avatar picture you are using? I've been staring at it and can't make out what it is.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
They are all so close in appearce, and the truth is PA they all could have been hatching that day.
I know there were at least two types of bugs because I caught one that had only two tails...sorta assumed it was probably baetis...??

Taxon, here is the information I entered:

3 tails
#16 (may have been a bit larger and depending on how much, this does change the results)
Uniform color fore wings
Obvious hind wings
left the "other characteristics" blank
flowing water
during daylight
SE US

While ya'll are helping me with my bugs, here's photos of all that I saw (at least all I got pics of)... The VAST majority of bugs were like the last one pictured here for those that want to know what is/was hatching...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
taxon, what is that avatar picture you are using? I've been staring at it and can't make out what it is.
Trevor-

Good question. It's the larval head of a Limnephillid (Northern Casemaker Caddisfly), genus Limnephilus as I recall.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Why aren't you fishing today Rocky, little too windy? Although the fly looks alot like Paraleptophlebia, I don't think it is. They have very small oval hind wings (only one of the three tail duns if I'm not mistaken that do) and this specimen appears to me to have prominent hind wings with the shallow depression and small projection commonly found in Ephemerella. What do you think Taxon? They are all so close in appearce, and the truth is PA they all could have been hatching that day.
flyman-

Yes, I agree. Perhaps you missed my post #5 above.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
3 tails
#16 (may have been a bit larger and depending on how much, this does change the results)
Uniform color fore wings
Obvious hind wings
left the "other characteristics" blank
flowing water
during daylight
SE US
Plateau Angler-

The problem with Attenella attenuata would be that there aren't any in TN. See N. American Mayfly Distribution on my site, and enter TN is the box for State.

Also, you might want to a look at the leading picture in this article I wrote for Hatches Magazine two years ago. I think you'll find a striking resemblence to your specimen. Another thing that made me lean toward Ephemerella subvaria is that it's the earliest emerging of the Ephemerella species you have in TN.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Taxon I did miss your post, thanks for the confirmation of the info. Attenella attenuata (McDunnough 1925) have been documented in Great Smoky MT Nationa Park.

http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/cl/GS...cts_GSMNP.html

I think a few more detailed studies of aquatic insects has been done in the park than the rest of the region. I have noticed in the past several species left off of the USGS site present in places not indicated on their map.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/d...mfly/index.htm

BTW-I would like to complement you on your site. Well done, lots of great info in a format that the average person can comprehend.

Last edited by flyman; 04-16-2007 at 05:32 PM..
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Attenella attenuata (McDunnough 1925) have been documented in Great Smoky MT Nationa Park.
flyman-

Thanks for sharing that information, and also for your kind words concerning my website. With regard to Attenella attenuata, I suspect they were in the N. Carolina part of the SMNP, as opposed to the Tennessee part, however. In any event, whatever source one uses for mayfly distribution, it will always be incomplete to one degree or another.

Last edited by Taxon; 04-17-2007 at 06:38 PM..