Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default leaders

have always used the cheapest leaders buyable--3pks etc--monofilament-are the more expensive leaders really better??if so...why??
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Don't know the answer to your question but stay away from the clearance and closeout stuff as I have found it to be old and very fragile. Breaks like crazy as I always give my fly a tug after tying on.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 PM

I wouldn't skimp...good leaders are tied according to specific formulas - thick butt sections, tapering to fine tippets. You have to have the right leader to turn the fly over properly - I've been learning that the hard way. LRO has a nice selection.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 AM

I have found that paying the extra price for Frog Hair tippet material has well been worth it for fishing in the mountains. It has amazing flexibility which makes the fly drift much more naturally. I have even had the fly spinning around in those little whirlpools that you find on the streams. It also has quite a lot of stretch which helps on those over aggressive hook sets. I have not used their full leaders but I am sure they have the same properties.

They are available at LRO.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 AM

What leader/tippet would you guys suggest for the mountian streams?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 AM

I usually tie my own leaders but when I have to buy them, I usually purchase 7 1/2' 3x or 4x leaders and then I can tie whatever tippet I want to the end of the leader to suit my needs. Sometimes I just keep it the length, as is, sometimes I make it longer with 4x or 5x, or even 6x, as the case may be. I find that 4x is usually good enough but if the fish are skittish, or the water is low, I will go down to either 5x or 6x. I like the Orvis Super Strong leaders. When I build my own I usually use Maxim. There are plenty of leader recipes available on the internet. Do a google search for Leader Calc. Hope this helps.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 PM

I want to put my 2 cents and strongly recommend Frog Hair Tippets. I will not use anything else. I used them on the Bighorn summer before last and the fish we lost were from the hooks pulling out not breaking leaders. I am usually skeptical about Higher price material vs real need for it, but don't skimp here. Watch clearance stuff very carefully!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:17 AM

Count one more in for frog hair. I know it's expensive and i have trouble paying for them sometimes, but it's definitely worth it. Once you get over theh sticker shock and use it, you will be happy you bought it. It is simply the best leader out there. I have tried every brand i can think of and this one is noticeably stronger. With other brands, sometimes when i tied a fly on it would break for no apparent reason when i went to tighten it down, but with frog hair i have yet to have this problem and i have yet to have my line break (knock on wood). At least give it a shot and see what you think.

Craig
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up

Ditto on Frog Hair. Been using the mono for years and am now onto the fluor for TW fishing. Best stuff I've tried yet.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Frog Hair?

You fellows that are using Frog Hair. If I am not mistaken this is a fluorocarbon leader material. Doesn't it sink instead of float? If so, don't you have problems with the fly being carried underwater? I may be mistaken about fluorocarbon material and would like your input.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau