Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM

just looking for the story i read before folks, thats all. Many fine things about your state. I personally rank knowing that the Gores had a place along the Caney as one of them. Ive admired that river from my truck window on my way to the Smokys on many occasion. Hope to be able to fish it some day.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread. Good luck on your quest!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:27 AM

Dittos on the hijacking, but those of us directly envolved in healthcare have a knee jerk reaction everytime we hear the name Al Jr. Why with the TNCare program he saddled the state with that has driven out countless physicians and bankrupted the state, Al Jr. deserves all the ridicule one can come up with.

Good luck on finding your story. I am sure Al Sr. and the wife were very nice.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default Back On Topic thx...

Currently Byron does not keep the fishing reports archived on the computer beyond the prior 5 days. We do have notebooks of the old fishing reports, though.

Paula
Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Default back on topic

Any chance that he can recall the source of that fine story?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Yeah...he was one of the fishermen!

Give him a call or private message him, I am sure he will share it again.

Paula
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Default The Gore's Home

I told this story in a fishing report sometime last year. I've got copies but it would be quicker to write it again.

At least twenty years ago four of us were floating the lower section of the Caney Fork in canoes. We had never floated that section before. I think we started in Gordonsville and we meant to take out upstream from Carthage. I can't even remember who was there but one of the guys is a professor at MTSU. He came in the store last year and we laughed about this story but I can't remember his name.

Well, we missed our takeout somehow where we had a truck parked for the shuttle. We ended up on a beautiful farm. We walked around the farm and decided our truck was down the road about a mile. We found the home so the professor and I walked up to ask for permission to drive through the fields to get our canoes. We knocked on the door. By then we realized who lived there. I remember a sign that read Gore Farms or something like that. Senator Gore Sr. answered the door and we described our dilemma. He was gracious and invited us in. Mrs. Gore came in the room and talked to us and offered some refreshments. They really were nice people. Senator Gore told us how to get through the fields with our truck and wished us a good day. As we were walking out the door he pointed to another house which I remember was closer to the river. "That's my son Al's house", he said. "He's going to run for President of the United States". We walked to the truck, drove through the fields of this beautiful cattle farm and picked up our boats and buddies. It was a great fishing trip that ended well. I've never met Al Gore but if he is anything like his parents, I like him. He currently lives in the Belle Meade area of Nashville with his wife Tipper.

Byron
Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Byron,

Thanks for posting. A great story. I recall reading somewhere that Al Sr. and George Sr. used to get on pretty well. Small world i guess.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Al Jr. Why with the TNCare program he saddled the state with that has driven out countless physicians and bankrupted the state, Al Jr. deserves all the ridicule one can come up with.
It's not really pertinent to the thread, but just for the record, TennCare is a state program that was instituted in 1994 when Don Sundquist was governor. And the state, at the moment, under Phil Bredesen's stewardship is running a surplus.

I'm not sure that Al, Jr can be credited or blamed for either, since he was VP at the time and he's ... well, Oscar-winning, former VP at the moment.

Nice story, though, Byron.

Jack
Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 AM

Tyrone -

I remember you telling me that story 20 yrs ago as we were floating down the Caney near where it happened. In fact, I repeated the story last week on the White River to the guys I was fishing with, before I saw it on the forum here. Is that not a coincidence?!

sb