Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Default So here's the rod bender! Pics!

We went fishing this previous week at the ol county hot spot "Georges Creek" better known as the Launch on Topside just down from Pellisippi Pkwy. We had been there I know for two hours in the rain and my daughter had drove me past insanity playing with the worms and well, just being my daughter! I was staring off into the blue abyss listening intently (loosely worded) to my daughter "Daddy"......."Daddy"........"Um Daddy"........."Hey Daddy!" Amazing how you can tune things out when you become a parent, which is ironic because my mother used to do it to all of us as kids..Ok, I might need to further that statement and say she still currently does this....Back on topic, I remember seeing the tip of her rod bent over with a steady head jerk...By now my daughter realizes she has my attention following up her final "Daddy" with "I GOT A BIG FISH". I had just upgraded her spin rod from a 4' Wally World "Barbie Special" rod to a 4' Shakespear outfit. As I'm sitting there in astonishment because her drag was singing and watching my daughters eyes the size of silver dollars. My wife had mosey'd off to well, use the little girls room and my daughter replies "Daddy, that's a big fish. I gotta go get mommy." After landing the carp it took every part of five minutes to coax my daughter in between myself and the carp. But at last it made for a very memorable moment and a great picture. She's so proud of her fish that she says every day after picking her up from school "Daddy we goin' fishin?" I think we hooked more than a carp that day, I think I hooked a 5 year old on fishing!

To add injury to insult, I had been trying to catch one of these for the past two weeks on fly. At least I know I was in the right place!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Now THAT is pure gold!

Thanks for posting!

Paula
Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 AM

That's awesome!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Awesome Fish!

Hey that was great! Does anyone know what kind of carp that is? The few I have caught have a long dorsal fin. That is a pretty fish if you dont look at the mouth. I know she was excited, she's a doll for that matter. We have a 9 year old, trying to get him in one of LRO beginner's classes now!
Thanks for posting and be sure to congratulate her again!
John
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 PM

It looks like what we call a red horse carp. I can't tell for sure, and don't know if that is a technical term or a ol country boy fish name. But none the less nice one!

STU
Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Nice one!

That could be a White Sucker....and if so it might be a new state record...the current record:

White Sucker 1 lb. 7 oz. Nolichucky River Max Moore Jr. March 15, 2002

http://tennessee.gov/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html
Old 04-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Default What is it?

Don't think its a red horse sucker. I have caught a few of those and they dont have the bugle mouth like that fish (dont fight much either!). It is some kind of carp. I guess I need to get a carp book or maybe google it?
Anyway congratulate your little girl again dad!
Best,
John
Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

dont look like a red horse. But i could be wrong...

Jwwitow:
what do you mean red horse dont fight? I love sight fishing those thing w/ a light spinning rod and red eggs.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFi...lNegus_jpg.htm

This is from TWRA's region 4 website. It looks very close to the same fish. You could probably Email the fishery biologist and get an answer.
Lots of great photos of different species on that site. I bet your daughter could bet a big fish citation for that fish!