Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Lanyards

I'm curious as to your opinions of the advantages/disadvantages of using a lanyard. They interfere with movement much less that a chest pack or vest for me, but for a long trip where I'll be far from the truck, well, they don't have much storage capacity. Good luck to all who are fortunate to find time on the water.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 AM

If thought about picking one up because I dont like to carry alot of stuff, but then I find myself wanting to do more fishing that is a couple of miles away from my truck so I still want to get a better pack. And I dont see the need for both. Ive thought about using one of my old duck call laynards to make a cheap one like you see in the stores.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 AM

I have used a Mayfly Troutfisher lanyard for a few years now and I can't imagine fishing without it. I have never liked fishing with a vest, as I seem to lose track of things in WAY too many pockets.

I like having all my tools right at hand. I also use to lose at least 3 or 4 clamps a year, and now they are firmly attached to my lanyard. I have attached a small fly patch at one end. So on it I keep a clamp, floatant, tungsten putty, tippet, and nippers. I've gotten down to one or two big fly boxes. If I'm heading further away I either wear a backpack or a fanny pack. It suits me fine as I try to keep my gear to a minimum.

Dude
Old 04-24-2007, 10:43 AM

Default lanyards

I love my larnyard it is a Morning Star. I've tried the small chest packs and small carry bags and vest, but for me the advantage of using one is that it is lightweight, no pressure across the shoulders and everything is very accessable. I carry minimal flyboxes usually in my shirt pocket or a small waist pack. If I intend on hiking in all day a small hydration bladder pack has enough extra storage space for a raincoat or lunch. when fishing from a boat I often just put a few different flies on the lanyards drying patch and leave the flyboxes in the boat bag when I'm wading. This is what I carry on my lanyard.
Tippet 3X -6X spools
Nail knotter tool and hook hone
line nipper with eye needle
Hemo on retractable zinger
small black foam drying patch
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I have to agree with the other posts. I like my lanyard as well. I will guide a full day trip for 2 anglers and use nothing but it and a flybox in my shirt pocket. But, I am close to my truck when I do this. If we are hiking in to fish, I will do like the others and carry a small pack. They are definitely more comfortable when you are fishing hard for a full day!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

I have moved from a vest to a chest pack to a lanyard and back many times. I am a girl...I just cannot make up my mind...

Actually, I am now in the *hate vest mode*, and have been using my lanyard exclusively. That is only because I weighted by chest pack down too much. Seeing what Byron has done with his new fishpond vest/pack, I am reconsidering.

We have so much duplicate gear in this household!

Paula
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Another lanyard user here. I don't leave home without it! I wear a shirt with pocket to keep my camera (which is tied around my neck for safety) and cargo shorts(light weight)-with zip on/off legs depending on need, to keep fly boxes etc. I also wear a fishing pack (for longer trips)with the front pockets removed( too much stuff in the way). Have never liked the fishing vest!

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)