Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Slick Rock April 20-22

Jay, myself and a couple of friends hiked into the lower end of Slick Rock for a couple of days this past weekend. Jay and I hiked in on Friday morning. with our two other friends joining us on Saturday morning.

The weather was simply awesome all weekend. We had incredible bug hatches. We had Hendricksons, Black and Golden Stones, Little Yellow Sally's, Dark Bodied Caddis and tons of other little insects doing their thing.

The fishing was good in the morning and afternoons but it turned on and off like a switch. When it was on you better be on the water moving from run to run and getting them when you can. Because when it turned off you couldn't buy a bite.

A couple of notes of interest from the weekend.

- If you plan on having trout for dinner, it is better to take a net than to land by hand.

- Dry driftwood burns hotter and brighter than your average downed tree but is harder to come by and must be worked for.

- Bears like toothpaste and speed stick , therefore they must be hung with food.

- Hogs can't climb trees, but they can plow up dirt better than a Deere.

- If you add Spark to water it will give you superhuman like powers.

- Wool socks won't burn, but melt.

- Setting a personal best going across the Dragon will cause tire wear and leave a possible vibration in your brakes.

Here are some snapshots from the weekend that was.....

Jay High Sticking for Dinner

Jay using the Side-arm Backhanded Cast

Slick Rock

Lower Falls

Dinner

Wild Flowers

Petey

Last edited by Petey; 04-24-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM

I'd like to hear more about the bear and hogs! really nice pics
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM

Great pics and report! That is a stream I have yet to explore but plan on it someday...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Great trip and tip info!

I don't know how many times I let dinner get away on some of our camping trips. Fortunate for me... my girlfriend was always a little luckier and able to feed us consistently.

Some thing to be said for having dinner in hand and dry wood. Another thing that gets to be priceless is dry socks. Those somehow always feel great.

Thanks for the images, may have to venture up there...

Regards,

Jonathan
Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 PM

Please Inform Me How To Post Photos To Reply's.
I Also Fished The Bottom Of Slick Rock, And Have Another Photo To Send You....thanking You In Advance.
Old Beau
Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Reply

MM, we didn't encounter any bear or hog over the weekend though there was plenty of evidence.

The bear talk came up while Maker's and Jack was being sipped around the campfire. We were discussing what all was being put in people's stuff sacks to go up and a buddy of mine said he puts everything up the tree, even his tooth paste and speed stick. So the next thing you know we are all grabbing our cleaning kits and sending them up the tree. I guess you had to have been there.

The boar talk occured along the same theme. We had camped not far from an area that had up rooted by boar. They had turned the earth over in a large area and had done a really nice job of plowing the ground. I made the comment I needed borrow a few from the Forest Service to till my garden and the comment was made they could do it better than a John Deere. Again, another one of those I guess you had ot have been there.... LOL....

Old Beau if you want to post an image type [img][/img] - from there paste the link to your picture between the ] and the [ . Quotation marks are not to be used, they are just shown so the link will appear. If the quotation marks weren't there you would not be able to the text.

For example - [img]put link here[/img]

That should work. That is what I typed to get my pictures to post.