Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Winston Boron IIx

Hello all,

I have been lurking around the board for a while and finally decided to join. You all seem like a good group of people. I am considering purchasing a Winston Boron IIx rod, 8' 6" 5 weight. They feel light though I have not cast one yet. They are also on the expensive side. Do any of you own one of these and are they worth that much money? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 PM

Hello, I got a BIIX several months back, a 8'6" 3 wt and i love it. Depending on your tastes, however, there is the BIIt as well. The BIIx is a very fast action while the BIIt is a more traditional slow action. My 3 wt is actually taken over and i use it for everything but streamer and tailwater fishing. It casts nymphs very well and i can't speak enough good words about the rod. As far as money goes, i don't know if i'd say it's worth it, but then again what fly rod is? If you're looking at something in that price range, i can definitely recommend that rod for you.

Craig
Old 04-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up

They are on the expensive side, but I didn't find a rod that I really liked before I got a BIIX. I have a 9' 5-wt and wouldn't dare fish a tailwater without it!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Winston BIIX, mine is a 9x5

Fishing one afternoonwith my friend, Grumpy, he was hooking up frequently.. I wasn't. He hollers, "It's the rod, it's the rod! ..." Of course he was kidding.. Go try to buy a rod from him and he will tell you quickly, just like Byron would, .. Many decent rods and reels can be had for lots less bucks than Winston models and provide as good a fishing memory as the more expensive equipment. As a matter of fact I can think of no real instance where the rod itself had much to do with whether I was catching fish or not. But, there is something to be said about how you feel or enjoy the equipment you're using at the time. Knowing I am fishing with "Quality" that comes with a life-time warranty just adds to the whole satisfaction and enjoyment of the experience for me. And whether it's valid to say my confidence is higher because I am using a high-quality rod and line is a matter for other discussion. But I do know that feeling more confident means more tight lines, for me. Are they worth the bucks? For me, Yes, they are. But I will say that when I am concentrating on the drift, the end of my line, the dry-fly, or indicator, I am not thinking about the rod or reel. I might be thinking about the line though.

You know the good Lord never told Adam to go to church,, he just said "get out there in the garden," and you know a river runs through it..
Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM

Caneybuff,
Rumor has it you bought the warranty and they gave you the rod. Our "friend" says that he won't lay a rod down within 50 yards of where you are standing! He He. Caneybuff knows I'm joking but yes, the no hassle warranty is definitely something to consider. Not that I would ever sell one, but Winston holds a high re-sell value, if you can find one. I'm still waiting!

Last edited by Realtyman; 04-24-2007 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: added text
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM

Cast it & then decide if it's worth that much to you, try a few other's in the same price range as well to compare them.
My truck isn't worth the $36,000 price tag that was on it, i had to have it
My Winstons hold their value better than the blame truck

Grumpy
Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM

Thank you for the advice. I'll give one a cast and will probably take the plunge. They sure are pretty.

SpringCreek
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Hey SpringCreek,
I bought the 8' 6" 5wt BIIx from LRO in August of 2005. I can not say enough good things about this rod. The more I fish with it the more I am convinced that this has to be one of the finest all-around trout rods available. They only had them with graphite reel seats in stock and so I ordered one with the wood spacer (If you're going to drop $600 on a rod you might as well get it the way you want it), It looks great, mine is paired up with and English made CFO III and Rio Selective Trout WF line. It makes a great outfit. I do a lot of sight fishing in reallly shallow water on the South Holston Tailwater and even though this is a fast action rod with that line it is great at making delicate presentation with 15' - 18' leaders. There are a lot of good rods out there and many of them cost a lot less money, but I am very pleased with my BIIx.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM

I bought the B2x 8'6" a couple of years ago and it's the best all around rod I have. It worked out west on Yellowstone River floats and the rivers up around Twin Bridges. It also worked great on the small creeks in the park. I also found it to be a good rod for Mi and PA road trips. I have the Ross revo reel on it but if I was to do that again I would go with something else maybe the Tibor.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm convinced. Nothing looks better than one of those Green Winstons. I'm sure they cast as good as they look. And thanks to you for taking the time to answer my post. There seem to be a lot of fine folks on this board.

Tight Lines