Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Big Run Report

I just returned home from a three day trip to the Big Run in the Shenandoah National Park. Big Run comes off the west side of the mountains about 20 miles north of interstate 64.

[img]img_0298.jpg[/img]
[img]img_0305.jpg[/img]
[img]img_0306.jpg[/img]
[img]img_0309.jpg[/img]
[img]img_0301.jpg[/img]

My nephew joined me and we had a great trip. No rain and the temperature was in the high 70's every day. If the pictures turned out, you can see we caught some beautiful brookies. It was my nephew's first trip to the mountains and he is now hooked.

We caught between 50 and 75 fish and all were on dries. Life is good!! We saw a couple of March Browns on the stream so we stuck with them for the rest of the trip. Actually, I only used one fly until I broke it off on Tuesday morning. We caught many brookies in the 8-10" (measured) range.

It was a great trip catching native brookies but the country is not as pretty as the Smokies.

For those of you who might think of making the trip, it was a 4 mile walk down off the mountain and a four mile walk up(1,450 vertical feet) to back to the parking lot. We donated a lot of sweat to the mountain as we hiked out with 40 pound packs on our backs!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Hey Baldeagle,

Pics did not turn out. Never the less, great report! I love hiking it in to those brookie streams.

Hope you can get the pics up?

BTW, What was your fly of choice?

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM

DryFly1

The fly that I used was a catskill type dry fly, march brown, size 12. Sorry about the pictures. If anyone could give me instructions on posting pictures I would certainly appreciate it. Paula walked me through it yesterday but must be I was not listening very well. Imagine that!!