Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Durango, CO and the San Juan River

My wife and I just got back from southwest Colorado after spending a week there. The weather was somewhat erratic. The first three days were in the 40's and 50's and and rain/snow mix, but the last four days were in the 70's and beautiful. Managed to fish the Animas River through Durango, and did not land a fish. The Animas is listed as one of Colorado's gold medal trout streams, but I found out that I was fishing in the live bait section of the river and that possibly accounted for my lack of fish. However all was made right when we took a float trip on the upper San Juan river through private canyon water. Managed to land around 15 fish and had that many either get off or break my line. Of the 15 fish landed I managed to bring to net a 10" Colorado cutthroat, a 21" rainbow, a 20" cutt-bow, and a 20" brown. I had a couple on that were substantially larger than the largest rainbow and it manhandled me with the 5 wt. What was amazing about the fishing is that the 10" cutthroat was the smallest fish we landed and the average size was probably closer to 15", and they were all wild. I was only the second person to fish this section of water in at least a week, and I believe that helped with the fish being so active. As we were leaving town Saturday the rivers were already beginning to rise and get muddy from the snow melt. It was the best fishing trip I have ever had and highly recommend that anyone who will be in this area give Animas Valley Anglers a call and Will Blanchad or Chris Meyer will hook you up. I am already looking into planning my next trip to this area. Durango is a wonderfully quiet little foothills town that is only 30 minutes from high mountain streams and lakes and 1 hour from the San Juan river in either Colorado or New Mexico. I will try to figure out how to upload pictures to share them, please bear with me.

Travis
Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the pics...

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Pictures from the mountains and San Juan River

Last edited by D-Drake; 05-03-2007 at 12:43 PM..
Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Awesome pictures! That is a nice area for scenic value and great fishing. Those rainbows are so colorful....great job!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Looks like you had a blast and a trip many of us would love to take! Thanks for the report and pictures.

Craig