Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Default st croix imperial

anyone own or have experience with a st croix imperial? particularly a 9ft 5wt model? I've been casually shopping around for a new 5 wt. my friend has a 7'6" 4 wt imperial, and I am HIGHLY impressed with the rod.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:11 PM

Dude... How many rods do you need? People are going to think you're opening a shop or something... Just kidding. I'm pretty sure most of the guys on here love St. Croix...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:36 PM

somebody told me about going over to somebody else's house and them having rods in every nook and cranny, and falling out of every closet door you opened. I'm not there yet. maybe someday.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 AM

I have a 9ft 6wt imperial I really like it. They are a true med action. I have better luck with med action rods myself. I think there are sill some around on close out st croix discontinued them so good luck.

STU
Old 05-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Trevor!

I own one 9 ft 2 pc 4wt and one 9 ft 4 pc 5 wt. They are very nice rods. They were St Croix's medium priced rods until about 2004 or 2005 when they quit making them and replaced them with the Triumph or something. Imperial were U.S. made and the 9 ft 4 wt I have isn't even medium action. It is slow almost fiberglass feel. I love the rod. The 9 ft 4 pc I picked up on ebay in a real bargain auction. I got lucky and got it for less than 75 dollars with Alu tube. The later nineties and on into this decade didn't come with alu tube but a cordura.

I would definitely buy another imperial if the price is right and In my opinion any U.S made rod will hold it's value pretty good.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Default I have a 2 piece, 9', 5 weight

It was the first decent rod I bought and I actually underlined it for no other reason than personal ignorance but it would really throw the 4 weight Rio Wind-cutter I had on my reel at the time. I later bought a Scott 5 weight to replace it and gave my wife the Imperial. I can only say that it is a sweet rod, I have no complaints other than to wonder why they eliminated it from their lineup of rods.

Mike