Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Topwater for Smallies

Whats the earliest to go top side for smallmouth? I know its early yet, but I was thinkin about tyin some poppers...yeah we'll see how that goes. I know the water temp has to be high, but the way the weather is here, that may not be far off.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 AM

With predicted temperatures in the 80's for the next few days, time is not far off. Growing up, my dad always used Mother's Day as the beginning of fly fishing for top water smallies but I think that is more of an old wives tale because I have fished alot earlier than that. Watch surface activity for bugs, etc and watch for strikes. That is the real indicator for the timing.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:00 AM

well i guess a few sneaky petes will have to "sneak" (sorry guys) into my box for the next week, b/c if i didnt take em..yup, Id need em.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 AM

What can it hurt to try? If they don't respond, go back to the old reliable streamers such as buggers and clousers. Might even try a few weighted crayfish patterns. I have caught more smallies on a "mickey finn" clouser of yellow over yellow maribu with red crystal flash sides than any other fly! Tye 'em up on Tiemco 3761 (1XL wet nymph hook) in sizes 8-4 with either small or extra small, white colored lead barbel eyes. You will probably need at least a 6 wt to toss 'em though.

AA
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Update!! 5-1-07

Ok..fished a local smallie stream here. Started out w/ a sink tip and buggers. I picked up a few redeye, but no smallies. The river is still too deep to work but a small portion of the far side, so going on what you guys said, I put on a leader and a good ol' sneaky pete. I was throwing basically upstream. I would slap the fly on the water and just drift it, no movement. I picked up about 3 including one that would push 2lbs. All on a 5wt. . That last one gave me the "invisible rise"- ya know, your popper just kinda sinks. I love it!

If I can figure out how to post pics Ill get that last one on here.

Last edited by MTN_TRT; 05-04-2007 at 08:57 AM..
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Early season, I have found a black nose dace streamer extremely productive. Probably due to its resemblance to a small minnow or chub.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM

What was the water temp?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM

About 62 degrees. Of course, you will get more action as the temperature increases. One of the best experiences I had was throwing a streamer while staying at the Grand Hotel in Pigeon Forge during an Easter weekend. I had taken the family to the Smokies and had fly fished in the park but on Saturday p.m., I came back to the hotel and instead of packing the gear, went right behind the hotel. In a matter of 30 minutes, I had landed four and lost at least that many. All were in the 1.5 to 2.0 pound range.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Sorry , I meant the question for MNT TRT! Also, was it sunny, overcast, raining, water clarity? These are the kind of things you should log for future trips over the years. I spend a little time chasing smallies myself!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 PM

I didnt take the temp...warm enought to comfortably wet wade though. Clear sky but the sun had gone behind the ridge. water was low and clear..actually flowing good!