Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Default river rage!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first witness

i have witness road rage several times before but saw my first river rage!!
i fish the cumberland river on monday 3 boats in a run of maybe 250 yards long ,everyone was making out just fine no was stepping on anyone toes. flyfisherman and spin fisherman. than all of a sudden here comes this lone flyfisherman in a boat on ever fish hooked he lets out a yell ,wanting to be seen [ i guess] kept coming down the run pulling in front of every boat came and in on me, i didn't say anything to him, i could have take his hat off on my next cast very easy that how close he was. he floated on down to where these 2 spin fisher were ,they had just landed a fish was putting it in a cooler. when all of a sudden he challanges them on keeping fish. saying hey you can not keep these fish. and more words exchanged that should not be typed here. than he rams there boat and challenges them to the bank to settle it. but they told him to go away. i went on by down stream was floating another section when he comes by again this time heading toward my fly line with his outboard of course i let him know he was heading toward my line, he was about 10 ft. from my boat,then he says that i had pulled in front of him. i said how soon we forget that he had pulled in front about 100 yrds up river and i had not said a word to him. by this time i was getting mad by the way he had treated the spin guys which was all uncalled for and threating my line and me . so he goes on and cuts in on another boat about 100 yrds on down the river. this old boy is heading for trouble . he is going to challange the wrong guy and he will become a log in the river. some one will put a boat paddle between his ears.[] can we not get away from all that anger on the water.] and it might be me . i don,t like to be threated by anyone i'am not one to challange i want turn it down. i fish for enjoyment if you want to keep fish thats all right the regs. says you can . does this give flyfishermen a bad name.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 PM

That's pretty bad - I've seen some short tempers out on the water, but this guy sounds like he thought he was in some dive bar, looking for a fight.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Default River Rage

I would bet he was not sober!
The world is full of them, can imagine that wrecked the day.
Best,
John
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 PM

You're right John....but, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like there are a lot more of these cage cases now than a few years ago, both on the road and in other areas of life.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
does this give flyfishermen a bad name.
No, but it sure gives common human decency a black eye. Sorry you (and others)had to witness this guy's antics!

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Unfortunately Bill, I have witnessed this occurrence too many times on the Cumberland and before anyone says anything, from the boat registrations, its the locals as much as the visitors. On one occasion, I saw nearly the same behavior and when the "gentleman" got close enough for me to see him, he was actually one of the "upstanding" members of one of the TU chapters here in KY. It's hard to turn the other cheek but these days, you never know whether someone is under the influence and whether they are carrying a concealed weapon.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

That guy isnt a flyfisherman. Enough said.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-03-2007, 08:23 AM

My hat's off to the spin fisherman, if he had rammed my boat intentionally, he would have seen a concealed weapon
Cell phone users should keep an 800# handy for the area they're fishing, tell them you're holding the perpatrator at gunpoint , you'll get a response, hmm, i may start carrying handcuffs
It's ashame that you can't go to a river to get away from the problems of the world anymore, what better therapy can you find for the price of a fishing license?
Grumpy
Old 05-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's ashame that you can't go to a river to get away from the problems of the world anymore, what better therapy can you find for the price of a fishing license?
Grumpy
That's why I like the backcountry so much!!!

**** BTW: Well said MNT_TRT.......

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=DryFly1;37684]That's why I like the backcountry so much!!!

As long as you don't run into the Eric Rudolphs or the cast from the movie "Deliverance"!!!