Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Most Memorable Catch

In keeping with MTN_TRT Q&A session, I have another question. What's the most memorable fish you have caught?

Mine would have to be the first brook trout I caught. I caught it on the West Prong of the Little Pigeon above Chimney Tops. It was a fall afternoon and I was rock hopping my way upstream. I came to a picture perfect plunge pool being fed by 2 small waterfalls. The waterfall on the left side had a back eddy where leaves were collecting on the surface. The current would swirl the leaves, and every so often I would catch sight of a small trout hiding under the leaves. It would charge out, take something off the top of the water, and scurry back to its hiding spot. I had the perfect casting position with a huge boulder hiding my presence. So, I tied on a BWO parachute and made a quick sidearm cast. After about the third cast I finally hook the little jewel. It was about 5" long and beautiful. I carefully removed the hook and released it back into its domain. What a great fish.

I tell you this also, that stream will give you a workout!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Most Memorable

Actually, I come up with 3

1) In the exact opposite of the way it usually is, I taught my Dad to fly fish when he was in his early 60's. We went to Kettle Creek in PA, got into a pretty good caddis hatch, and I watched him catch his first trout on a fly rod. The fish itself was was unremarkable - being there to see it happen was great!

2) Caught 2 - 25" to 30" range Inconnu in the Yukon on a 6 wt. trout rod back in the late 90's. Helicoptered into a creek mouth on a large lake - we felt like we were the only people who had ever been there. Awesome place.

3) I had a day that makes all the bad days worthwhile. In September 2005 I spent a day midweek by myself on the Strawberry River (below the dam) in Utah. I was the only person in the canyon. Fished a 3 wt., caught bigger than average fish on Stimulators, made all the right casts, didn't fall in, saw mule deer and moose, got great pictures, got browns, cuts and brookies - everything went right that day. It'll probably never happen again, but I'll always be able to close my eyes and be there.

Of course, there's always the unknown - the most memorable fish just migh tbe the next one!

Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM

One that I can visualize at a moment's notice is a rainbow, about 15", in the John Muir area of the Hiwassee. Saw him rising near the bank in about 18" of water, under some overhanging trees. Dropped an Isonychia hen wing spinner above him, and he came up for it as natural as can be. The river rocks on the bottom, water clear as air... it's still a beautiful picture in my mind's eye.

sb
Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I gave this quite a bit of consideration. I was thinking about my first tarpon...or my first bonefish...or Salmon, or any amount of other fish I have caught.

What I came back to was the first fish I ever caught on a fly rod. When I knew absolutely nothing about fly fishing...Byron had done all my rigging, shown me where to cast...(it wasn't really a cast, btw) and I caught a fish. I will never, as long as I live, forget that adrenaline rush. I was hooked instantly.

Paula
Old 05-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Even though it is kinda corny...everyfish Ive had on a flyrod. Everytime I catch a fish and land it I always have to take a deep breath. Like "Man, that was awesome."

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2007, 10:16 PM

I hooked a 18" rainbow about a hundred yards below where I caught my first fish on a fly rod. What makes it the most memorable is that my 6 yr old son was with me and I walked around behind him and handed the rod over his shoulder and into his right hand. I held the line in my hand so I could play him down. We landed that fish together and it truly was a special moment for me as well as my son. He never said a word the whole time because he was grinnin ear to ear and holding on to that big rainbow. I clipped the fly off and still have it to frame for him some day.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 PM

If we're limiting it strictly to fly-fishing, I would have to say the first two wild trout I caught just last summer up in Virginia - looking back, considering how low the water was and how spooky the fish were, I was very lucky to get those two small brookies.

Now, if you expand it to fish caught with any sort of gear, I could say my first fish when I was about 3, my first bass, etc...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I hate to deviate from the topic. I can't really think of a single fish that stands out on the fly. What comes to mind is an experienc on the Little River several years ago. I had never caught any trout over approx. 10". I was fishing one of my favorite stretches of water on the East Prong only about 300 yards long. I was fishing a beetle. In this small stretch I caught 5 browns in about 30 minutes ranging from 13-15". I didn't have a tape to measure the fish, but after having caught a lot more since then I feel comfortable that I am not exaggerating the size of these fish. I fish this stretch everytime I am there, and haven't caught anything over 10" since. I think I just caught it on the right day and time that these fish were there and feeding on terrestrials.

Most memorable fish in my life... Bluefin Tuna off Hatteras, NC. 274 lbs. This was not on a fly of course.

Matt
Old 05-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Most memmorable. Took my daughter, age 6 at the time, Striper fishing in NC's Pamlico Sound off Roanake Island in the fall several years back. Drifted parrallel to bridge that connected the island with the mainlane. In four hours time, three of us, manged to catch over 70 with the smallest being 28". My wife hooked into a 1993 F150 that was crossing in front of us at about 60 MPH on the caseway bridge above. Beautiful coloration, a brilliant red, Boy what a fight that guy put up. Manager to cut the line just in time. Couldn't have keep that guy either, I believe they were also out of season.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Mine would be a beautiful little Brookie up in the George Washington
national forest last spring, my first Brookie. He took a PMD, I has seen him
sucking the top a couple of times.
I was taking a few Crappie on my 3 Wt. Saturday near the house, I let my
8 year old daughter catch a few, when a 4 pound largemouth bass sucked
down my nymph! It took about 20 minutes to land him to the boat, that was
on a 7.5 ft. 5x tippet and 3 Wt, 6' 3" rod. What a fight! I've got some pix my
little girl took and I'll try to put em on the warm water board later this week.