Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Stillwater Smallies

There are a couple lakes up here that have good smallie populations. (one that hardly anyone knows about- it has some pigs. i took a 6-7lb one there..one a rapala though) Has anyone fished stillwater for smallmouth? What tactics should I employ? I know where the bass should be most of the time, but I dont know how to go after them. Thanks.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Stillwater smallies

I can recommend a book for stillwater smallies; Smallmouth Strategies for th Fly Rod, By Will Ryan. You can catch them with the rapalas just mimick that with a fly. Maybe a popper or a diver or a deceiver. Different conditions, different tactics.
Get that book though, it is a good one. You get one over 4lb on the fly rod you better post it! I caught a few small ones today, a 12" smallmouth feels like a 15" trout, they are absolute thugs!
Best,
John
Old 05-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
a 12" smallmouth feels like a 15" trout, they are absolute thugs!
I would second that; I've caught a few up in Canada, and I think if you tied a 10 inch Smallmouth tail to tail with a 5lb largemouth, the smallmouth would tow that largemouth all over the place. They pull like a redfish, and jump like miniature tarpon. IMO, if you had to pick one fish to go for, strictly on fighting ability, it would be a smallmouth.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Smallies

I would toss the same flies for Smallies in stillwater as I would in a river. Try your topwater (poppers), subsurface (James Woods Bucktail), & bottom stuff (craws, buggers). A weighted Leech pattern is good, too. I have also had some luck FFing a very small Roadrunner. Below is a great article about alternative fly baits, like pork rind.

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Art...ctics_by_j.htm