Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Yosemite NP

I will be hiking (day hikes) with my wife, daughter and son-in-law in Yosemite NP June 15-21. I WILL be taking my flyrods. I was wondering if someone has any knowledge or suggestions for fishing locations. We probably will be spending most of our time in the north part (Tuolumne Meadows area). We have cabin reservations on the Middle Fork of the Tuolumne River. I have read that the South Fork is OK. Most articles or books are rather general in nature. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Local fly fishing shops seem far and few and certainly none compare or come close to the services and format provided by LRO.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Nharrier,

Try the following link:
http://www.sierraflyfisher.com/tours/yosemiteregion.htm

I have heard that the fishing in the park was not that great, but the above link appears to disagree with that.

Travis
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Smile Yosemite link

Thanks for the link, Travis. Looks good to me! I'l let you know. I have heard that the snow melt by June makes the Merced real rough but the high meadows can be nice.
I'll get some pictures of the catch etc. and report back.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Yosemite NP & CA

Well fishing in Yosmite NP was less than stellar and would not consider it a fishing destination. In the park, the Merced was full of rafters, canoers, picnicers, swimmers, etc. Didn't even try to compete. I did fish the Tuolomne R in the meadows and the Lylle Fork (trib of the TR). A ton of 6 inch bows and browns. Would hit just about anything floating that was a size 16 or 18. The trick is hooking up (faster than a speeding bullet) and staying hooked up on barbless hooks. A 3wt would be good, except the wind in the afternoon almost demands a 5 wt. Because the snow pack is reported to be 25% of normal, water flow and level were below normal. Absolutley no color, clearer than drinking water, and the rock color about the same as your fly. That plus the leader length (at least 9') and casting distance from where you are standing made sighting the drift most difficult. Anyway it was fun! and I enjoyed hiking with the family and getting reacquainted. BTW, the meadows is as beautiful as anything but my wife and the Smokies.

I was able to fish the Middle TR (outside the NP) where we stayed for about 15 min. Its size is about a small Smokies stream. I fished it with a 7'9" 3wt and hooked into a 14-16" stocker bow using 16 yellow humpy. That was exciting!

CA has some nice streams. I managed to steal a Sunday afternoon while in Sacramento to go toward Downieville and fish the North Yuba River. Great area to fish. Hooked into some nice browns and rainbows (16") on 18 BH green caddis nymphs+2 small wts. I would recommend this stream to anyone new to the area. Access is simple, right next to Hwy 49. Just stay away from the campgrounds and gold miners claims.