Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Holston

Question?

Can you safely wade on Holston River (cherokee dam) with one generator pulse?

If not at the dam is it possible at nances ferry?

Also, how's the access at Indian Cave?

Any info greatly appreciated. If you don't want to go public a pm would be nice.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM

hans,

I fished the holston on private land last week. I'm pretty sure we were somewhere around nances ferry (because I saw a road called nances ferry). fished through the pulse, wading was fine, water rose a couple inches and was slightly swifter. now, it had rained that whole night and was raining the whole time we fished it, so the water may have been up a little anyway. the fish were feeding like crazy, and boiling on the water but we were unable to determine what they were eating. my guess would be some type of emerger or midge. had one take a griffiths gnat, but all fish were caught on a streamer. we didn't fish very long... it was wet, chilly and dismal outside.

a few years ago I drove over to indian cave. Is this public access?? because it sure didn't look like it. I didn't fish there because the access seemed a little sketchy and it looked like a good place to get your car broken into.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM

Default were to fish @holston

i'm taking my first trip to the holston river, can or better yet will anyone tell me were to fish , and what flys work best or might catch some fish.....thanx tnflyman
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Wading when pulsing is definitely safe as well as benificial. As far as what fly to use when they are boiling on top like that, you'll go crazy trying to figure that out, I've spent HOURS with no solution. A little later in the year, they will take a whiter colored dry pretty well in the swifter water, but the best bet is a copper john, olive bhhe, cadillac pheasant tail, or something in that dark, copper family that is similar. Best results have been with size 14-18. Try a double nymph with an indicator and you should have a great day. The Holston has become one of my favorite places to fish if a high fish count is what you want. Stay in swifter water, preferably with some depth also. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Hans, check your PM.

Petey
Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM

caddis caddis and more caddis

The water is warmer there than just about any other tailwater around. I wade the Nance's Ferry area. Walk as far as you want to go, the shoals are evident. Carry a few comparaduns or BHPTN for fun, but caddis are prevalent in the river. I like a tan X-caddis in #15. I like the goldie locks theory.......not too big, not too small, inbetween size.

A pulse sometimes turns the fish on, but will not bother you. If of course it's only for an hour.

Flat
Old 05-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Second the caddis - fish anything you want as long as its a caddis...usually there is a small apple green bodied caddis in the morning and a larger tan caddis in the afternoon...though a buddy went out last week and didn't see much of a hatch and did well with caddis softies and a midge dropper...there's usually some nice hatches of craneflies as well...the water is already warming up and the window of wade fishing Nances is getting shorter, a lot of the fish will start moving up to the dam to escape the heat and hopefully some will survive the summer, but many don't make it as I understand it - the cycle will continue in fall with the intro of fingerlings as they turn into the cookie cutter size Flat refers to...it would be nice if there was a way to stabilize the temps 'cause the water is bug soup and you'd have one heck of a fishery if it could grow fish year 'round....
Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 PM

What have the water temps been running over at Nances Ferry? Low water time periods. Haven't been since Feb.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Default holston info

Hey guys, I'm new to the message board here. I have been reading it a lot but just got registered to post. Anyway, I have fished the Holston the last two days in the afternoon and the trout are hitting a small dry fly (size 20) with a yellow body and gray/brown wings. There is a good hatch of light brown caddis, but I haven't seen any being eaten. The fish are rising really well but they are eating something that is not visible. I haven't tried any nymphs, but BHHR are usually productive. I have only been fly fishing for a couple of years and I am still learning a lot, but I can tell you what I know or what I have seen on the Holston. I fish on private land between the dam and about 8 miles downstream, before Indian Cave and Nances Ferry.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone!