Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Fishing today

Hello, headed out early this morning to get some fishing in before the rain. After my mandatory stop at bojangles to indulge in a gravy biscuit, i finally got to the river about 7 30 and started in. The water was warm, 56 degrees, and there were tons of bugs hatching. After sitting back and watching for a minute and seeing no surface activity, i decided to try on two nymphs. The fish seemed to be hunkered down on the bottom and after seeing some yellow sallies flying around, i decided to switch flies up and so i put on a yellow stimulator and a yellarhammer soft hackle. This proved to be the ticket, as the nymph covered the deeper pools and runs while the dry covered the shallow pocket water. Most fish were caught on my dropper, but the smaller fish did make a habit out of attacking my fly in the shallow water. Saw lots of bugs coming off: quill gordon, yellow sallies, and what appeared to be a yellow drake(?). I managed to catch some nice fish before the rains came about 12. I had been kinda waiting on it to rain but i didn't expect the bottom to fall out like it did. I love fishing in the rain and i look forward to it, but i could only stand fishing in that heavy rain for about 10 minutes before i was ready to call it quits. I was standing on the bank and fishing, for safety reasons, when i noticed the water turn brown almost instantly and the water jump up several inches. I figured this was my cue to go so i called it a day. A good trip, though, with several nice fish caught and a perfect day to kick off the wet wading season!

Craig

Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Shame I couldn't go today, I would have loved to but work called. BTW, I LOVE that 3rd picture!!! I may have you shoot me a full res copy of it!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Craig,

Good to hear you had a nice day in spite of the weather. I'm a little jealous reading your report and not having been there for the experience. Thanks for the report. Someday soon I hope to be in a few of those pics.

Matt
Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM

Nice fish there! Sounds like a great day on the water...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Hey Craig,

What, no lethal SMBBSH action today?

Great report and pics... Really like your other two choice of flies!

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 AM

No, i did try the smbsh but they seemed to prefer the yellarhammer soft hackle with all the yellow sallies hatching. The water temperature over here in nc, for the most part, is considerably cooler than over in tn on the little river, and i'm not sure if the isonychias have come out in full force yet. When they do though, watch out! I'm gonna be armed with the smbsh and wreak havoc on every fish in the water! No fish will be safe.

Craig
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 AM

Default great report !

Craig, as usual, another great report and great pictures. I'm glad that you're getting in some other flies on these N.C. streams. Keep posting those great pictures and when you get a chance to use those new patterns, let us know how they do.
Hugh