Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Newbie to cane

Hello,
I am new to the board and glad I found it. I am interested in getting a bamboo fly rod but due to limited $$ I feel I need to go the vintage route (Heddon, South Bend, Montague etc.) I have notice on ebay that several sellers refurbish vintage rods and sell them for $150-$200. Anyone here bought through ebay? Any input (guidance) on getting my first cane rod would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Default cane

bamaboy,

If you buy from ebay, make sure the deal includes an inspection period, usually 3 days. That way you get to try the rod out to make sure it's what you were expecting.

Bill
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah i have been thinking of doing the same thing on ebay. I have seen several montagues on there for around $200 and several other restored rods. I just dont know how good of rods montagues or some of the others are.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 PM

Default canerod

I can only say be very careful on e-bay. Prices for the rods you mentioned have gone way up especially the Heddons.The best deals might be the South Bends.As was mentioned make sure the seller has a return policy.The price you were using no doubt were for longer rods(9') and that might not be a good rod to start out with. Good luck Dave M
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM

For good information on cane rods go to this link
http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum
The guys and gals on this board are very knowledgeable about cane rods and will give you help in finding that first rod. They were very helpful to me when I was looking for that first boo. WARNING CANE RODS ARE ADDICTIVE. You might be better served to spend a little more and get a rod from one of the modern rod makers instead of some of the older rods. By going with a modern maker you can get the exact taper and length rod that you want. You might want to check with Walter Babb at LRO about a cane rod.

Ernie
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 PM

Bama,

I have a rod that you may be interested in. Send me a PM.

AA
Old 05-21-2007, 05:54 PM

tnernie, The link is wonderful. Great info for any flyfisher intersted in bamboo