Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-21-2007, 11:39 PM

Default My little girl is hooked!

This past weekend my daughter turned 3. She is as of this moment my only offspring, until early December. I have been dying to get her a fishing rod for some time. My wife keeps telling me she is still to young. Well I decided Saturday morning while we were shopping for some party favors for her birthday party that it was time. I was cruising the fishing section looking for hidden gems that pop up at Wally World from time to time when Chloe said, "Daddy, look! A princess fishing rod!" I asked her if she liked it and if she would want to go fishing with her Daddy. I got a emphatic "Yeah!". So in the cart it went. Well actually into her firm grasp it went. I thought her and the lady from Wal-mart were gonna throw down when it came time to check out.

Anyhow, Saturday she got her new rod and Sunday we went to a park near my house in Farragut for a picnic with some close friends. She wanted to know if we could fish. I told her "You bet we can!" So I loaded up her princess rod, my spinning tackle and called one of my buddies whom we were meeting to bring worms. I have been told and know from general experience if you want to catch fish and you want to have a successful outing, especially with a youngster, take worms. So that is what I did.

I told her we could fish after lunch, so while eating I surveyed the lay of the land. Everybody was fishing in the sun and not fishing worms from what I could tell. Therefore action was slow. After lunch I took Chloe and couple of her little friends down to the riverbank. We set up camp under a shade tree that had good shade over the water and put a worm on the end. She caught one, then another and then another. And in between her catching fish I handed the rod to the other girls and let them bring some in. They were having a blast. The next thing you know we went from being by ourselves to 10 bobbers thrown in on top of us and kids flocking to our position by the droves. Luckily we had stung a many a lip before the bombardment and the girls had gotten their fill of catching, touching, petting and releasing bluegill.

I was a proud papa to say the least. By the time we had left my little girl was reeling them in by herself, though she still needed help with the hook set, and was wanting to put them back in the water on her own. It all made for a very special weekend.

Here are a few pics from our fun in the sun....

Chloe and her new Princess Fishing Rod

Chloe reeling her first one in....

Chloe's first fish!

What a way to spend Sunday in May!

Petey 8-)
Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM

I know just how you feel...I have three girls, and thankfully they all love to fish. Now, I'm getting them into fly fishing.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

CONGRATS!

Great post, great pics!

Next post needs to be with a fly rod -- just kidding! Thanks for sharing.

Gerry
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 AM

I used to have that same rod except in a snoopy version. excellent choice. is that the cove?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 AM

Great to see a little girl getting her first fish. The Lord has Blessesd you in many ways.

Patrick
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Great post and pics!
It won't be long and she will be filling the message board with her "fly fishing" excursions. At least dad hopes so.

Mark....

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 PM

She's cute, Petey. I can't believe how big she is now. It's been a while since I saw her. Congrats on the new fishing pal!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Much Thanks!

Guys I appreciate the kind words.

It was a lot of fun for sure.

This is at the Cove, I believe. I pass it all the time coming and going from work but never paid attention to its name. It is beside the Yacht Club that houses all of the sail boats.

Don't worry guys, a fly rod one day will replace that little Princess rod. It will just take a little more time, if you know what I mean.

Rusty, the last couple of years have flown by. It seems like yesterday she was crawling around on all 4's drooling all over me. Now she is running around, wanting to go fishing when I head out the door or climb on her playset out back. She told me a story last night about a scarey monster fish that had big eyes, big teeth and big ears. LOL...

Petey
Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Great photos. It looks like you had a blast. Sometimes just hanging out with family and having a bobber in the water is the way to.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

She is a doll! Awesome pictures...thanks for sharing your day with us!

I need one of those princess rods...dang, pink and purple and everything! Every girl should have a princess rod! Got a birthday coming up, I'll tell Byron... Petey...honestly...y'all need to save that rod...she will want to have it when she is older.

Paula