Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Default LRO flip top fly container uses

You know the little round containers you put your flies in when you buy them at the shop, the flip tops with LRO on the top? I try to recycle those as much as possible, like most of you do, but man are they handy. One of my favorite uses for them is to put a little Red Man in and snap the top shut, put it in my pocket(they're mostly waterproof) and hit the streams.

I was wondering what all uses you guys have come up with for them, not counting carrying flies in them of course.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM

I have 1 in with my smallie gear with an assortment of different sized strike indicators. I know, why a strike indicator for smallies? BIG, heavy dead drifted patterns for finese fishing periods. They are also useful as a small first aid kit with bandaids and neosporine packs, cleaning wipes and such.
They are very handy as fly boxes though!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I recycle 'em right back to LRO. 'Course I'm in there sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. One time I left a shopping back full of them hanging on the door for Daniel. Last time I was in I didn't even use one - just plopped a handfull of BHPT's down on the counter and put 'em right in my nymph box...

(Of course I paid for them first.)

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 05-23-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: ooops
Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM

I usually put my tippet spools in them. I think I can get three in there and it keeps them from getting tangled in my wader pocket or vest pocket.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Default turkey calls

I put my turkey mouth calls in them to keep my vest organized. The plastic is softer than the original containers and doesn't rattle as much.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Here's an idea: drill small holes in the top and bottom and put it in your vest, shirt pocket or whatever. When you take a fly off your line, pop it in here instead of back in your box. You keep moisture out of your fly boxes and have a record of what flies you went through. It's harder to lose them than sticking flies in your hat or a fuzzy patch. Even inside a vest pocket, the flies dry out throughout the day and, if not, when you get home, just put it out on a countetop for a couple hours.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 PM

that's an EXCELLENT idea. I have a "fuzzy patch" that I use. well, basically, it's got about 50 flies cluttered on it. I never feel like taking them all off and sorting through them.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 PM

I've been using them instead of a fly box... I sort the flies in the containers, then as I rig up I get out what I want and put it on my patch. I use the lower slot in my truck door to hold the containers (about a half dozen). When I'm done, I put them back where they go. I know... I'm a little OCD, but aren't most Fly Fisherman?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 AM

Peanuts. Good little protein boost. Never used 'em for Red Man, but I did used to keep my stike indicators in a Skoal can, till the fish started attacking them. Maybe that should tell me something. They like straight.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Sunflower Seeds and Old Dropper Line. They hold just enough sunflower seeds to keep you going and after I am finished with my dropper line, I snip off the nymph and place the old line in the box so as not to leave it in the river.

My daughter likes to use them to keep multiple pairs of her earrings in while traveling. I personally think this is a waste of a good container, but it keeps her happy