Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Default The week in western N.C.

I had some time off this week and spent most of it fishing some different streams in Haywood and Swain counties, plus Cherokee on the way home. Foe several years, I've wanted to fish the Tuckaseege river and explore some of the Pigeon river watershed. I enjoyed the Tuck' with its different water and sections. This river gets pounded though. Licsence plates from a lot of different places. The fish would be looking up around 8:00 till about 10:00 and then nymphs were the best choice.Then about 6:30 till 8:30, it was dry flies again. I believe I caught more brook than anything else. This is, of course, a stocked DH river. Never saw a fish bigger than one pushing about 16" but they were all fun. They need rain over there too. The best day of the week came when I ventured over to look at the Pigeon. It too is a DH stream. Beautiful stream in a out of the way area. I lost count of fish that day.....all dry flies. Some other fisherman were around, but not many. I wanted to go back my last day but I let a 75 mile round trip at $3.15 a gallon stop me and shouldn't have. I'm still amazed at the attitude of some people that don't care about the special regs on our streams. Some of the locals seem uncaring. A great weather week even though we need rain. My campsite wound up being on the Tuckeseege across from where the train wreck scene was filmed in the movie 'The Fugitive' The guy who ran the campground said they used him as a extra in that scene. On the way home I fished the Nantahala in the middle of the day and caught a few. In October I believe I'll make the trip back to Haywood county.

mstone
Old 06-02-2007, 07:05 PM

mstone, you should also poke around a little further west if you enjoy wild fish at all. There's great fishing in the park on the NC side, but there's also some pretty fine fishing in the National Forests in NC if you don't mind a little hiking to get to it.
Some pics from last weekend, when my string of bad luck ended!( Hopefully for the year.)

(pic edited out by 'licker - sorry)
The above is, believe it or not, a brook trout stream. Below, one of the streams inhabitants!

Last edited by fishlicker; 06-05-2007 at 09:57 AM..
Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Wild streams

fishlicker,
I do enjoy the wild streams, however its gotten harder to get some of my fishing buddies to get in the back country. If I go by myself, its usually to a tailwater, or a DH stream in NC. I miss getting over in Hazel creek. That photo looks familiar to me. Thats not the Yellowstone Prong that runs off the Blue Ridge parkway above Waynesville is it?

mstone
Old 06-03-2007, 08:28 PM

I don't know if you'll get an answer on that one! That was my guess, too, however. Great minds think alike i guess!

Craig
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Craig,

I can't PM you to plan our trip, we'll have to figure out a way to make our plans so that we can get out soon. Are you a member of Zach Matthews' site Itinerant Angler? We could at least use that to PM and make plans. I'm just not crazy about putting my email info out in public space.

Matt
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Fishlicker I have a pretty good idea where that pic was taken. If I am right this is one of the only areas I know of that you can drive to within minutes of a brook trout stream. There are a number of these type rivers in that watershed. I live about thirty minutes from that area and love to fish it whenever I get the chance. Just do us all a favor and don't give up the name. The reason its so good up there is the lack of people and remote area. Anyways congrats on the brookie and maybe we will run into each other one day.

If I am correct this is another stream in the same watershed close by.

Last edited by WNCFLY; 06-04-2007 at 07:42 AM..
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM

One of the most beautiful watersheds in WNC.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/James-BEFP.jpg?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/Dscn1833.jpg?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/Dscn1835.jpg?

BTW Fishlicker...........no campfires are allowed in this area
Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Fishlicker I just realized how much my picture above looks like your picture as well. I beleive we might have took a picture of the same spot.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM

I know exactly the area you are talking about, and you're right, it is a wonderful place that not many people visit. In fact, i was up there just a couple weeks ago with some good results.

No, i am not a member of that site, but just email me at mtnman2888@yahoo.com. I'll bite the bullet and put my address up here. These are good folks on this board.

Craig
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM

No wonder I can't catch fish anymore. Looks like everybody has been fishing my "secret" place

Last edited by flyman; 06-05-2007 at 03:53 PM..