Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Default great afternoon

Left about an hour early from work today wanting to get in a couple more hours of fishing before the weekend. Started out with the 6wt throwing big poppers, but the bluegills and redbreast seemed to be the only thing biting. I walked back to my truck and swapped rods for a little 4wt. and tied on a smaller popper and started back down the river. Picked up several more redbreast till I finally located some smallies. Even though they were small 10" fish they still put a bend in a light rod. Worked on downstream to some areas I scouted recently and hooked up with several nice fish including another 18" smallmouth! Ended up with 8 bass and about 10 sunfish in 2.5 hrs. That 20 incher still eludes me! A few photos from tonight.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 PM

If you don't mind me asking, where were you fishing? I'm trying to gather information on some good fishing spots.

--Joe
Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 AM

Joe, there are alot of great fishing locales here in East Tn. I suggest getting an Atlas gazetter topo map and spend time exploring. Myself, out of respect for the fish, I don't give specifics on streams. You may want to invest in a weekend FF school with LRO or hire one of the many quality guides available an then put that knowledge to use on the area streams. Good luck!........Troutman

Last edited by Troutman; 06-05-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 PM

I plan on catching that 20 incher this weekend! Winner buys dinner at the next cookout!! Nice pics "bassman"

Mark...

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Great pics troutman.

I've been wanting to try smallmouth fishing on my fly rod as it looks to be great fun.

One question, is fishing from the bank ok with a fly rod and smallies?

I was worried about the casting distance to get out to them. Sounds like a crazy question but I grew up fishing for Bass on spinning outfits..

Thanks
Greg

Last edited by tngreg; 05-28-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: updating.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 PM

tngreg, Like when fishing for trout, I spend most of my time wading the streams, crossing back and forth looking for the best holding areas and trying to put myself in the best position to cast. I like to float rivers also, it opens up alot of less pressured water. Very few places that I fish allow me to stay on the bank and cover the water effectively. Smallies are ambush predators so their locations can vary with the time of year, water temps and clarity and water levels.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Ive been at my river house on the Hiwassee since Friday and caught a couple of small bass on my popper but nothing big. That 18" fish didnt come from the place I mentioned to you the other day? Nice pics on the outting with your daughter too.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Default 18" Smallie on a 4 wt.

Bassman!
That is some smallie......especially on a 4 weight. Did he jump much or take you into your backing? Smallies don't seem to run so much but they do go berserk! Nice fish,,,,,,,,,,would have been a battle even on the 6 wt.
Best,
John
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM

John, The fish only jumped once but made several strong surges when I would get it close and peel line off the reel quickly. The 7'6" 4wt. has become my go to rod for the poppers but it can be tough trying to net a fish with a 12ft. leader on a short rod. I overlined it to carry and turnover the bigger poppers. I like the 6wt better for streamers and sink-tips or when the wind is up.

Last edited by Troutman; 05-29-2007 at 04:07 PM..