Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM

MM135, Glad to hear the carp fly worked on something. I may try it will some cover scent. Those carp might take it better if they don't detect the human odors from handling the fly. Matt, I don't sell any flies, I just give them out occasionaly to people to try out. Redeyes are very abundant in the rivers but they aren't very good fighters are they? I've caught several this year myself.
I may fish again this week but will probably look at either new water or try to mess with the carp. I've been thinking about those Gar also!
Kevin, I usually use my 6wt. for streamers and sink tip smallie fishing but with the size of the area fish averaging 10- 15" a 5wt rod is plenty for most of the local rivers.
If you guys catch a 20" smallie, I'm going to be very jealous!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Troutman,

I had to pass on fishing today because of the weather so I might go a couple of mornings this week before I have to go to work. About the gar, two guys were fishing from the bank yesterday with minnows and bobbers. I was watching them from across the river and one had on a pretty decent fish. After getting it close to the bank it looked like the line broke and then a few moments later a bobber began swimming around the pool they were fishing. I asked him what it was and he said that they were fishing for smallmouth but the gar in the river made that really hard. It looked like a pretty big fish too. Let me know if you want to do any fishing this week.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM

MM135, I brought my 8wt. with me for this evening!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM

I really wanted to go this morning but I couldnt get to bed early after working last night so I couldnt make it today. But the weather doesnt look too bad for tomorrow so I promise to have a report and pictures tomorrow. I am really thinking about bringing my pontoon back up to knoxville with me this weekend. When you do your floats how do you work out the car situation if you go by yourself. If you do catch some carp tonight I want to know how you did it. The only two short hookups I had where when they were tailing in really shallow water and I came up from behind them highsticking that fly you gave me. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 PM

If I'm floating and fishing alot of flat water by myself, I paddle upstream as far as possible sometimes dragging it through the shallow, faster areas. Sometimes , If I'm really really nice to the wife, she will drop me off and I'll float back to the truck.
Slept in huh? Plenty of time to sleep this winter! Got to fish when the fishins good! just kiddin! Guess I'm old school, I would be on the water from daylight till dark if I could.
I'm going to try for some Carp for a little while this evening, but I brought my other rods and gear also.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Here ya are Matt!......MM135

The river was still pretty cloudy from the rain, maybe 6-8" of visability. It made for hard sightfishing for these guys, but I finally found a couple working in the shallows and was able to get 1 to commit. caught him on my Carp bug.
I also hooked onto a 4ft Gar but after the second leap into the air it cut the line. Probably a good thing since I didn't have any needle nose pliers with me.
I also had several chase and bite my rubberband fly but couldn't get the hook in deep enough. I'm gonna tie up some mop flies for them next trip. Heres the picts I promised.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Man I am so jealous. I loaded a package tonight that was a TFO fly rod and that got me wondering how your evening turned out and by the looks of that fish, it turned out pretty good. I bet that fought like no other. Is the fly that you gave me your "carp bug"? I am going to bed early tonight and fishing until late afternoon tomorrow. I hope to have some success pictures to show you as well. I dont know exactly where that picture is but I am 99.9% sure that its above where we met....
Old 06-07-2007, 09:34 AM

They aint pretty, but they are fun on the fly! Thing is , that is just an average fish. I want one of those 20+ pounders. That "carp bug" is like the one I gave you. Pretty easy to tie but the hook needs to be strong. That fish was on upstream where I told you to park and access the river. The sun was at a better angle to sightfish for them up there. Downriver sections , it caused to much glare and thru a long shadow over the water to get close enough to the fish. I wish I had got that gar in, It was green backed with big spots and weighed about 10-15 pds.
I did throw a few streamers for smallies but they were tightlipped last night. They haven't setted down yet from the muddy water. Good luck if you go over the next few days. I'm taking my family camping this weekend.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Nice Smallmouth

Hey Troutman,
I went fishing with a friend last night and we had little luck with the catching, but what we caught were nice ones! Let me see if I can manage to download, well I don't know how to load a picture anymore. Guess I haven't loaded any since the new website format took effect.
As soon as I figure that out I will post them. Two fish; one a 20" smallie and the other a 40' muskie! I caught the smallie, the guy I went fishing with caught the muskie!
Anyway tightlines,
John
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Default 40" Musky

Wow! Was that on a fly

sb