Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Fish Pond packs

What is the difference between the double haul and the shooting star packs. All the information I have read on the double haul states that it works with the wind walker chest pack but does it come with a chest pack? The shooting star looks bigger than the double haul. I am looking for something that I can use to do a single night trip in. Is the big enought for a tarp tent and very compact sleeping bag? I am A gear nut so I have a miox water purifier and Jet boil so for a single night I don't need a lot of space. or am I looking at the wrong solutions.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 AM

I have the shooting star and i love it! I also have a jetboil and a waterworks purifier and it fits in there fine. It should house all your stuff with no problem and probably room for a few luxuries as well! I think the main difference between the double haul and shooting star is size, but i also believe that the shooting star may have a few more bells and whistles on it. Can't recommend it enough, however, as it is a very high quality piece.

Craig
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Hey Vern,

I have the Double Haul and it does come with the chest pack. The DH is a little small for carrying much besides a wading jacket and maybe lunch. The chest pack is sweet, though. I really like it.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM

you might want to take a look at the day pack from here. rod tubes in the gun sleeve and plenty of room for overnight(s) stuff. it rides nicely on you hips and takes the weight off your shoulders. doesn't interfer with casting.

http://www.mothertech.net/
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Vern,

The Shooting Star has a considerably larger backpack than the Double Haul has. The Double Haul's pack is more suited to bringing along lunch and rain jacket and a few other necessities. A zipper on the backpack section allows you to compact or expand the back section depending on how much space you need. The Double Haul has a place for a 100oz water bladder. It does come with a chest pack, however it is different from and smaller than the Windwalker.
The Shooting Star has a daypack size backpack. In the top it has a water-resistant pocket which is fleece lined for a camera. In the bottom stows away a raincover for the pack. There is a clamp on the side of the pack to attach a rod tube. The other side has bunjee cords to do the same thing. The Shooting Star's backpack will also hold the 100oz bladder. Whether or not you can fit enough gear to spend a night out depends on how light you pack. The chest pack on the Shooting Star is essentially the Windwalker chest pack. And it comes with the straps to wear just the chest pack alone.

If you are looking for a pack to do extended trips with I would go with the Shooting Star. If you get the chance to, next time you are over here at the shop, you can bring your gear and see how it all fits.

Daniel
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Perfect timing

Just the past few days I'm thinking about getting a chest pack, looking at the Wind Walker. I haven't tested it yet but should hold a large fly box (?) plus how much more? Opinions?

sb
Old 06-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Steve I would suggest looking at the William Joseph confluence pack. I have this pack and I love it. The way its designed is great because it takes about 98% of the weight of your shoulders. It also has plenty of room for anything you would need on a day trip. I like the shooting star from fishpond but I just dont need a pack that big on my back for any day trip. I may get one for over night trips though.

Check this pack out.
http://www.williamjoseph.net/
Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM

My only complaint about my Fishpond chest pack is the fact that it hangs around your neck. After a long day of fishing it does make my neck hurt some. I would like it better if my shoulders supported it like the WJ.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
My only complaint about my Fishpond chest pack is the fact that it hangs around your neck. After a long day of fishing it does make my neck hurt some. I would like it better if my shoulders supported it like the WJ.

Thats why I love the William Joseph confluence pack. It takes all the weight off of your shoulder and puts it on your chest and upper back. I have worn it hiking in three hours, fishing the whole day, then hiking out and had no pain at all in my shoulders or neck.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM

I agree with the WJ confluence pack. I usually take a small fly box in my shirt pocket, nippers and forceps and tippet. When I want to carry more or do a float trip I use this pack. It rides light. It can also be used as a boat pack and hung from the cross member on a canoe. If you do buy it, get the water bladder. I did not and wish I had.