Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM

TFO shows them on their website. The Healing Waters 8wt 4piece. I think that is a great thing TFO is doing for our brothers and sisters in arms. I know you do as well. If I didn't already have too many rods including an 8wt., I would get it.
Do you use Picasa photo editing software? It's free from google. you can easily crop, and resize your picts down to email and MB forum sizing.
Again great picts, it's nice to have good neighbors like that! I have a sister in mid-Tn that has a good pond with big gills and bass, I just don't get over to see her very often. Those redbreast bellies and fins are more yellowish while ours are darker orange. Could be just an E. TN thing! Good looking Dog! German shorthair pointer?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Yea she's a GSP. I got her last fall and have been working her a lot with
Bobwhite quail and Pigeons. I hope to have a good bird dog for years to come. The bird numbers have dropped so much here the last 10 years that I
have a guy raising me 300 right now and I'm releasing them at 6 weeks old in July on our farm.
Back to fishing I was looking at the Avid series which also look close to my
budget, just wondering if you have any experience with them. In particular I
was looking at the 7'6" 3 wt or something similar. Just curious, to tell the
truth if you're new to FF there are an overwhelming variety of rod types from each company which has got to be a good thing but I'm just trying to do a
little research. I'll check on that Picassa program when I get a chance and
thanks for your help again.---Bran
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Default So many choices

Bran, your right , there are alot of choices out there to chose from. I have 7 rods currently and I find myself always looking for something "better". My 8wt. is a St. Croix Avid old style 3piece. I would consider it a med-fast action rod. Its been a good rod for Carp and I have lent it to a friend several times for Alaska salmon trips. I also have a Legend Ultra 3wt. but it collects dust since I started using an orvis superfine 4wt. for mtn. fishing. I have a 5wt. that is used as a backup rod and my son uses it also. my newest rod is a custom Sage XP 6wt. for smallies and general streamer fishing. This sport is addicting and one can become gear poor quickly. Eventually, I'll probably go to cane and never look back!
Best Advice is find a good flyshop with lots of name brand choices and test cast several different rods. One mans med-fast action is different from another manufacture and your casting style is different from others.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM

I need to find a local shop where I can go throw a few and see what fits me.
Heck, last night I looked at Cabela's FF catalog til I got sleepy, you know it's
confusing just trying to decide what kind of line might be better.
A lot of sporting equipment holds to the rule of "you get what you pay for",
I noticed some fly line is outrageous and others are relatively cheap. It got me, as a novice, to wondering if that rule holds fast for fly line.
Jumping subjects again, I had time to slip down to our pond yesterday evening for a few minutes. I caught a couple of bull bream, boy that was fun.
Using a yellow popping bug, had a LMB suck it in once but he got off. After about 15 minutes a big Crappie hit it right against the lilly pads and wrapped
me up before I could stop him. Lost my bug. I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM

You will probably have to drive down to Durham or up to Roanoke to find a shop that carries several brands and most "true" flyshops will let you test cast whereas the big box stores only let you wiggle them in the store! Get a good quality line. Rio, SA, Cortland, Airflo all make good lines. A DT will last longer since you can reverse it after it gets worn on one side. Kind of like 2 lines for the price of one.
I've kind of got the itch for a glass rod. No one really carries them anymore due to the popularity of fast actions and extremely light weights. Since a good quality cane rod is out of my financial reach for awhile, I am leaning in that direction for a slow action 5wt rod to throw poppers to bass and gills.
Like many have said before, This sport is gear addictive!

By the way, My wife hates it when January rolls around every year and I get all those new catalogs in the mail! She doesn't here from me for several hours.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 AM

Know what you mean, I was looking again last night, my wife asks "what ya
got?". I told her and there's a little "hmmph".
Caught a few more gills yesterday evening between thunderclouds, they were liking a white popper, I also tried a dropper but nothing went for that. It
did help me get hung up tight a couple of times. They were popping a lot but
mostly over in the pads and thick grass. I tied on a black ant for a few casts
and suprisingly nothing went for it at all, I swapped it for a dry fly, one of the
quill type in dark brown, that worked best of all. It seemed to draw them out
of the pads more. Looks like more thunderstorms and cooler temps today
again before the big warm up next week. They say lower 90's Monday.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM

I thought about taking my kids over to their grandparents last night after supper to cast a few times in their pond. They share a 2.5 acre pond with 2 other neighbors and it is overun with green sunfish and pumkinseed gills. It has so many that it has stunted the sizes. The largemouth are all long and skinny. I need to go and thin them out but the neighbors don't like anyone fishing for their "pets". They have even ask me not to fish in front of their property from my kayak. Glad they aren't my neighbors! They don't realize the effect of not doing this has on the pond. To many fish and not enough food.
There was an approaching storm from the north east so I canceled going and just reorganized the fly boxes again. We have been watering our little garden every evening for almost 3 weeks now and I just knew we would finally get some rain but all we got was just enough to wet the driveway. You would not believe how much lower the rivers are since you were here last. I have talked to people in Texas on another forum and they can't fish because of too much rain. The rivers are blown out. I wasn't here for the last drought in the late 80s', I was surrounded by water for weeks and months at a time back then. Haze grey and underway!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Bran, I'm not nearly as experienced as many on this board, so take this for what it is worth... I think a low end rod with premium line will perform better than a high end rod with cheap line. And the difference between cheap and excellent line is maybe 30 bucks. It casts better, floats better, is slicker, and requires less maintenance to work well.

For me, if I had to, I'd scrimp a little on the rod and pay what I needed to pay for the better line. Others may disagree, and they may well be right.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:04 AM

That's pretty interesting, I had seen Mr. Romer say something on another thread about the line quality. It just got me wondering about the difference in what I'm using, a $25 scientific angler vs. a $60 Rio etc.
Do you guys pick a quality line just considering weight and taper or do you
get into all the species and water specific lines? Again looking at my catalogs there are myriad choices for lines from each manufacturer.
Troutman, I lined up a float trip on the Roanoke river for tomorrow, I'm getting pretty excited about that. Gonna launch the canoe after sun up in the morning and try some top water for Smallmouth and Redeyes!---Bran
Old 06-15-2007, 11:43 AM

Default float trip

Sounds like a good time. I'm floating a local tailwater tomorrow myself. Trout and smallies are abundant and I won't have to do all the paddling! A friend of mine recently C&R a 24" rainbow there last week.
I stopped and tried to get in an hour or so of fishing yesterday afternoon but I was in the water maybe 20 min. and a thunderstorm popped up. I had just released 2 small redbreast and a very small 8" smallie on a foam hopper pattern when I saw lightning. Out of the water quickly!