Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Default best all round rod and reel

I am thinking about getting a new rod and reel or rather updating my old one. My question is "What would be a good all round rod and reel for trout and panfish?'' Keep in mind that I am a school teacher and money is hard to come by so keep it reasonable, let's hear from ya'll.
GMC from WTN
Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM

I'll let others chime in on the reel, but I love Temple Fork rods!!!!!!! A 4wt TFO Pro or Finesse from 8' - 9'. It's a great company! I know a lot of the other guys like St Croix, but for the money TFO is extremely hard to beat...

As far as a reel. I personally don't think it matters much. In general, it's just a fancy line holder. I'm sure some would disagree, but an old Chief Master Sergeant always told me I was entitled to my WRONG opinion....

Last edited by Kevin_Thomas; 06-08-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM

I second the TFO. I have a 9' 5wt and I do all of my fishing with this one rod. Are there times that I would like a 3wt or 4wt, yes; but there are also times when I like having the 5wt. I also think the price is reasonable compared to other rods out there and plus you'll get a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM

If you plan on fishing out west or on tailwaters, I would go with a 5 wt personally. For the reels, I like the Orvis Battenkill or the Battenkill Bar Stock II for a bit more $$$. The BBS is a sweet reel that is very light weight. Well worth the money in my opinion...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM

I we also climb on board with TFO I have A 4wt pro and a 3wt finesse. Ihave more expensive rods but they stay at the house now. Orvis Battenkill mid arbor has been a great reel for me, a little heavy but tough. I was buying cheap reels, but as a bumbling flyfisher they didn't last very long. I think lro sell the mid abor for @ $119. Tfo pro is @ $160. a way cheaper outfit then some and performs as well if not better. But that is my opnion.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 PM

I have two Battenkills, but if I had it to do over I'd drop the extra $20 and get the BBS. It's a cooler looking line holder... lol
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Default TFO Pro

My first rod/reel combo was a Redington Crosswater 5/6 Wt combo that I thought was a sweet little package. Truth is that I didn't know any better and the guy gave me exactly what I asked for- a good beginner outfit to see if I would like it.

As of last week, I am casting a TFO Pro series 8'6" 4Wt that is unbelieveable. In the same outfitter's shop side by side with over $600 rods I would spend my money on the TFO everytime. My 6 yr old son went with me yesterday and I rigged the TFO for him and I tried to use the Redington to no avail. Enough said.

TFO Pro 8' 6" Pro series 4WT, TFO1 reel, Wulff Triangle Taper j3 4WT line is what I am hooked on. Already fixin to order a Finesse Series cause I like em.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 PM

My go to rod is the 8'6" 4wt TFO Pro... I love it!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Default TFO rod

For arguements sake, let's suppose that the rod is a Temple Fork Professional Series 9' 5wt 4pc Rod. Specs say it weighs 3.8oz.

A TFO MK I has a diameter of 3" and weighs 4.7 ounces.

A Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor III Reel Black weighs 5.8 oz and has a diameter of 3 1/4".

Is the extra ounce going to unbalance a 3.8oz rod??

Thanks for your opinion. 100% beginner here.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Tfo

For about a year now I've been fishing my TFO 8'6" 4 wt. with an Orvis Mid-arbor and a RIO 6 wt. pocket water line. Tonight I switched it out with my BBS II with a RIO 5wt pocket water line. That is my new go to set up for the park. I absolutely love the feel and response. I had my BBS II on a St. Croix Avid 3 wt. and I really like that set up for dries in the park, but for dries with droppers and nymphs in the park the TFO with the BBS II is a much better setup.

Gerry Romer