Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Sunday, June 10: NW N.C.

Hello all,

My uncle and i finally got to take a long overdue fishing trip together today and we headed out into nw north carolina. We went to an area i had been eyeing for awhile but had never made it there. As many of you know, a fishing trip often starts out with intentions of going to one stream and then going to another, especially if it's somewhere that you'd never been before. That was the case today as we ended up going a little deeper into the woods to fish a different stream than we had planned.

After a long, and i mean LONG, trip down a dirt road we finally arrived at our destination. We were in the water about 8 30 or so, not too early. I tied on a beetle and shawn tied on a light cahill. Within his first couple of casts, shawn had a fish on. I, however, didn't have the same luck. It didn't take me long to decide to switch flies after he quickly caught another one. I tied one of hugh hartsell's golden coachman and dropped a blackbird off behind it. We worked our way up to a promising looking pool and we both were catching fish now. He was getting all of his on the light cahill and i was getting most of mine on the blackbird, although i did get a few to come to the top. The dry/dropper combo worked great throughout the day, getting fish on the bottom when they wouldn't come to the top. We saw some nice sized fish scattered throughout the river, but unfortunately we weren't able to get one. I remember seeing one come after my fly and turn away at the last minute that appeared to be every bit of 14". I saw him come up from the bottom of the pool and was getting primed to set the hook until he wisened up and went back beneath a rock. By day's end, we probably caught about 20 a piece, in about 3 hours. Not bad, not a bad day at all. Although i will take the edge though, because shawn lost two flies to the same tree fish one right after the other, those buggers will creep up on you now shawn!

It was a beautiful little stream and one i would like to explore a little more sometime. The water levels seemed ot be very low, however, we could really use some substantial rain. One has to wonder when this drought will really start to affect the fish. A great day, though, and hopefully some others got out to enjoy it.

Craig

Standard fare rainbow

Another SMBSH victim, that fly is just plain ridiculous

Shawn's back side, enough said.....

Fighting a fish in a deep pool

Be very, very sneaky

Nice sized fish, notice the white stuff on my face? Frog's fanny is the culprit!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Awesome pictures and report! I really like the picture of fighting a fish in the deep pool. It looks like you had a nice trip despite the low water...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Great report and pics!! Thanks!

Gerry
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM

mtnman what kind of camera do you use? Brand-megapixal. I am hunting a new camera and your pics seem to be of a very good quality.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM

I have a pentax optio w20 that is waterproof and 7.0mp. Some of those pictures were taken with my uncle's camera, i think it is some sort of nikon coolpix, not sure the specs on it though. I think olympus has a supposedly bombproof camera, may want to check it out as well.

Craig
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks mtnman. If you would like shoot me a email and we will line up a trip when you have the time. Josh

copper78@bellsouth.net
Old 06-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
I have a pentax optio w20 that is waterproof and 7.0mp. Some of those pictures were taken with my uncle's camera, i think it is some sort of nikon coolpix, not sure the specs on it though. I think olympus has a supposedly bombproof camera, may want to check it out as well.

Craig
The camera I carry is a Nikon Coolpix L4, it is a 4 MP camera. Not waterproof, but inexpensive enough that if I drop it in the water, I won't freak over it (got it for @ $80). To be on the safe side, I keep it in a waterproof bag and only take it out when I want to take a picture. I couldn't stomach the cost of a waterproof one!