Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Cherohala Skyway

I went on a drive this weekend with my wife and son down the Cherohala Skyway to the Cherokee National Forest. I was kicking myself for not bringing my Fly-rod. We past some beautiful water the whole way up the road. We stopped in at the Tellico fish hatchery to see thousands upon thousands of good sized trout. My young son loved seeing them go into a feeding frenze when my wife through in some pellets that were laying on the edge.
I was wondering if anyone has fished this area? Are there any restrictions on the fishing? We saw some signs posting no fishing beyond this point, but there were a few anglers in the water. I can't wait to get back down there and get a line wet.
Any info on these waters would be nice. We will probably camp for a weekend and enjoy some trout and eggs in the morning.
Thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Check TWRA's website for the regs on Tellico & Citico, i love that neck of the woods, i never fish the special reg areas though.

Grumpy
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Tellico River Area

There is alot of water on the Tellico. Most will tell you that it is the largest freestone trout river in the state, it must be. As you enter the Tellico river area there is a BP or something and you can get a Daily pass there, I think they are $ 5.00. The trout water starts around the cutoff which follows the Tellico, there are no bait restrictions on the Main Tellico, TWRA stocks the pi__ out of it. I think it is closed on either Thursday or Friday.
Also around there are the Bald (ends at the big falls) River, a wild trout stream and North River (wild trout as well, lots of little rainbows mainly). For the meat hunting the Tellico is your best bet, they stock it for that reason.
Ian Rutter's ; Tennessee Trout Waters would be a good book for you, can probably order it from Little River Outfitters!
Too many other streams down there to cover. Tellico and Citico are managed for the "put and take fishing" with no bait restrictions though.
It is a beautiful area. If you have kids the hike out to Huckleberry Knob is a good one, not too hard and you're on a huge bald when you get out there. Take a lunch and a frisbee.
Best,
John
Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM

there are restrictions on the Tellico

it is a DH river from oct to march, artifical lure - catch and release only during that time
no restrictions now, just lot of corn/powerbait being used and lots of fish being taken out
not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

I think maybe the signs you saw were the ones that designate that stretch of water as a special permit section. It starts where Turkey Creek flows into the Tellico. Anything below it you just need a regular license & trout stamp. The permits allow fishing on the upper Tellico and Citico watershed. The easiest place to get a permit is at Green Cove. The permit section is closed to fishing on Thurs (I think) and Fri. Come Sat morning the locals will be all over the place starting before sunrise. In my opinion the best rivers to fish are the North & Bald. No special permits are needed as they are managed as wild trout rivers. Both of them also have numerous tribs that offer good fishing, several of them with the oppotunity to catch Brookies. Depending on which direction you are coming from you can actually drop into the North from around Stratton Meadows off the skyway. If I remember correctly it is just inside the NC line where the NR Road meets up with the skyway. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Hey John, great to have met you last Saturday.

That area along the Skyway has intrigued me for a long time. I found an article online some time back on Tellico and it's various tributaries. One day, I'd like to check it out, but the park's waters have been keeping me busy
Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Default IJ South

Very nice to meet you all as well. My apologies for not asking the names of your girls one by one, they are all very nice kids! Hope you all had a good weekend. Send me an email sometime jswitow@hotmail.com so that I will have yours.

Best,
John
Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM

For what it is worth, you can buy a Tellico Daily Permit at any place that sells licenses, or if you have a sportsman's license, you don't need one. Still, not a bad idea to support the local shops if it is convenient.

If you take a kid, they need the permit too.

There is another smaller put-and-take stream past Indian Boundary called Citico Creek. Same regs apply. That's where I did most of my trout fishing way back when.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I took my wife and 20 month old son back to the tellico river and tried to find a place for him to play while I did the same. There were many people out with spinning reels which made finding an area of water that wasn't worked over tough.
If I am able to get a free day I will definetly try by the falls in some of the smaller streams. I am going to LRO today to get some tying supplies and get my stock back to normal before I get too far behind.
I stopped by the local shop to get some info and he was a nice guy who seems to sell more worms than anything else. He also recommended some of the streams by the falls and he also said that there was another little area off the beaten path that produced some hogs if you are able to take your time.
Thanks,
Ben