Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Lemon Zest!

Fresh off the bench! It looks like a flaming lemon! I tied up something similar this week and used it yesterday! I saw great potential in it and thought it needed some tweaking! So here it is! It should ride with the butt in the water and the wing on the surface once treated with some floatant! It's tied on a size 16 tiemco hook! I know it'll catch some fish!

Lemon Zest is her name! I'm not sure if this pattern is actually out there or not!

The rib is turkey biot in sulfer color with a threaded hot butt.

The wing material I picked up at LRO for around $2 and it's stiff so that it won't flip up like raffia! Dad's got a bug that LRO is selling and it's a great fly but the raffia stands up on the first back cast! It's got an osterich herl head to it as well as sulfer colored goose biot tail! I'd like to time em' up in a size 14, but LRO was out of the tiemco 14 sproat hooks! I'd image 16 is the size though! A size 14 might be too big!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

So when do we get to test them out??

Dad
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Nice fly.I tie one similar. Can't tell from your picture if you used ribbing or a dubbing underbody. Try ribbing it with 6X or 7X, or mono thread to strengthen the biot bodies. I also found that a thin layer of dubbing with help prevent the biots from tearing.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

It is a biot body! I tie the biots in and use Softex Glue to keep um in place and bind them together! I like the softex because it dries shiney making it look more like a thorax, although you can't use much lessens the floatability! Post some pics up! I'm gonna tie some up parachute style in another day or so!

Here are some better pictures!

Last edited by Fishermansfly; 06-11-2007 at 11:49 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 AM

nice fly, that'll catch em for sure
Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 AM

I really like that! Is it landing right side up most of the time?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM

I certainly hope they'll float upright! That is a good question though! I liked the wing material due in fact that it is a material like panty hose! I'm thinking some floatant in the wing will let it ride with the wing in the surface film and the butt in the water! That's an excellent question though! LRO sells something similar with a hackle method that lies perfectly flat with the body (legs out to each side) I've seen the method before in a magizine but looked entirely too complicated demonstrated over two pages and 11 steps! The fly LRO sells is a yellow sally pattern with this hackle method and the entire fly rides in the film and makes it extremely hard to see! I wanted one that would mimic a female laying her eggs.

Ok I did a little research and found Umpqua's pattern it is a "Slow Water Sally" designed by BEFUS' Here's the link!
http://www.umpqua.com/ps-281-48-slow...lly-befus.aspx

You can't really tell from the photo but the hackly lies completely sideways on the fly! After looking at the actual fly it lookes as if they have "mashed" down the hackle to get it to lie flat! The raffia lies completely flat and extends all the way to the hook eye.
It's pretty close to his pattern!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Fishermansfly.
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear on this. Of course the fly will float fine. What I ment was in the past I have had some trouble with certain types of wings causing the leader to twist resulting in the fly landing upside down or on it's side. Ususally the wing material is some type of air resistant material, but your's looks somewhat porous? I was just wondering if it was landing in the water correctly?

Last edited by flyman; 06-13-2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me