Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 AM

Exclamation eye stress plate? Camcorder? Someone Help!

I know someone makes a plate for eye relief!! That's not really what I'm interested in it for! It attaches to the vise very similar to the bobbin holder! It's a round or square plate usually in two neutral colors! I thought there was one specifically made for my traveler vise! Can u help me out with it? If you know where to get one send me the link and I'll have Daniel order it!

My intentions for it are strictly for photographing my flies with a neutral background. It can't be a glossy surface, if u can manage to find one!

Any one elses suggestions would be great! I've thought about the bobbin method and placing it right up against a back drop!

Oh, and I know this will be rambling but, any one looking for a camera I don't suggest the Sony 10MG! It's great for twighlight conditions, full sun, and the accompaning software is great! Macro is horrible! Thank goodness for the 10MG pics that you can zoom in and crop because that's the only way you can manage a close up shot! Maybe and more than likely it's operator error! I love Sony products! Everything I own is Sony and when I go looking to buy electronics that's what I go looking at! I'm going to be buying a Digital Camcorder for our trip to Florida and could use some suggestions! Looking around the 500 smackeroo's range! Don't wanna stretch it much past that! Something with image stabilizing hardware!

Thanks in advance!

PS didn't have a clue where else to post this till now! Tackle and Gear fits! Moderator sighs! Now has to move a thread! Silly guy, I know! What was I thinking it's 1 in the morning cut me some slack!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
PS didn't have a clue where else to post this till now! Tackle and Gear fits! Moderator sighs! Now has to move a thread! Silly guy, I know! What was I thinking it's 1 in the morning cut me some slack!
Yeah...okay. At least I didn't have to type all that! Topic Moved.

Paula
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Fishermansfly,
Try some decaf brother Most people I know use some type of poster board as the background for taking photos of flies. A light blue or light grey seems to be the best. Sometimes I photograph the fly with both colors because one may contrast with the color of the fly better than the other.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/RedQuill.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...s/Dscn0879.jpg

Place the poster board close behind the fly, within 12" works the best for me. Look at your manual for your camera. It will give you a range on the macro setting. It will say something like everything between 1" and 18" is in focus. Tell me what your's says and I'll make a few more suggestions.

Last edited by flyman; 06-12-2007 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: genetics has been cruel to me
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Brett,

I photographed all the flies on the online catalog. I only have about 400 more to go. I use off white seamless paper for the background. It comes on a roll. I have a bracket to hold the paper. For a camera I use a Nikon SLR digital with a macro lens. I shoot at F32 for good depth of field and I use the manual setting. Using three flashes, one blows out the background from above and two have soft boxes fired directly at the fly from each side and slightly forward. The background is about 4 feet from the fly. The holding device is removed in Adobe Photoshop. You can come up to my office at the shop to see the setup when you are here. You might be able to find an SLR used but the lens is going to cost around $500. Hope this helps.

Also, I think I met the guide your are using in Florida a few days ago. His name is Jureau. He's young, owns the fly shop in Destin and he has a killer Hells Bay boat. I think you guys will enjoy him.

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 06-12-2007 at 07:00 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Flyman,

Here's some fan mail for you. Nice shots of the flies! I have trouble with white or clear materials. I've thought about using one flash to blow out the background then use bulbs to light the fly. Haven't tried it yet but I started out years ago with Halogen. Your depth of field is excellent.

Byron
Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks Byron. I certainly don't claim to be an expert photographer by an means. I shot those with a point and shoot 7900 Nikon Coolpix digital. One big problem with the point and shoot variety of camers that are so popular is their lack of depth of field. I think that camera's highest F stop may be 5.6? That's the reason I was telling Fishermansfly to set his background so close.......cheat that sucker! That is an interesting technique you are using with the mulit flashes. I don't use any flash, just 4 lamps with daylight bulbs. I wish I knew more and could afford nicer camera equipment, all my money is going to my 3 ex wives and my 8 children.

Last edited by flyman; 06-13-2007 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me