Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Default North Georgia Week

Here's the dilemma.

My youngest daughter is a counselor at the Winshape Camp this summer in Rome, Ga. She is off on July 6,7 and 8 so I am trying to set up a retreat for the family where we can spend the 4th together, and pick up my daughter from where ever we are on the 6th and stay nearby.
Any suggestions as to a good spot where the girls can shop or pool sit while the guy's fish? Cabin, resort, etc.
I would drive an hour or so from Rome, so I think my options are limited.

Thanks,

Justfishing
<'))))><
Old 06-15-2007, 10:36 PM

They sure are. But, fear not - there are two good bass/catfish/panfish lakes nearby in Sloppy Floyd State Park. It's going to be hot in July though, so the best fishing will probably be in the lower lake in the early am or late pm. Try a popper if you're flyfishing, or a bugger slow and at least 6 ft deep. Plastic worms on the bottom might work, and if you catch the bream bedding, then the popper is the ticket for them too. Other than Sloppy Floyd there's not much public fishing around there that I know of ( to speak of) and it's too low elev. for trout. They do stock one stream in spring, but it's not worth going to even then. Unless you like redeye bass fishing in small creeks. If so, try ...oh, what was the name of that stream...John's creek? maybe. it's been nearly 20 years since I went to check it out. If I were you, I'd let the non-fishers play with the paddle-boats or hang out in the shade and you hit the banks for some panfish or bass at the state park. It's a pretty nice park, btw. It's just gonna be really, really hot by July the way it's going now.

Good luck!

PS - your closest trout fishing of any 'count would be over in the BLue Ridge WMA, which is a long way from Rome. But, if you want into just ( well, I was gonna say PM me. LOL ) just email me at owlsblueridge@yahoo.com.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks FL,

I found a house on the Taccoa, in Blue Ridge. It's 86 miles from Rome.
Take care.

justfishing
<'))))><