Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Day fishing with MTNMAN2888

Met up with Craig this morning to fish Courthouse Creek near Brevard, N.C. Hit the water at 8:00 A.M. Air temp was approx. 60 degrees, and Craig got a water temp in the afternoon of 58. The water is extremely low on this creek. The fish were not interested in dries at all, we only saw one fish feed on the surface all day, and I belive Craig had a few fish hit his dry, but no fish landed on dries. I ended up catching a few on a tellico and Craig caught a few on one Hugh's yellow soft hackle patterns. It was an awesome day to be out even though we didn't catch as many as we would have liked. Craig had fish of the day honors with a rainbow that was approx. 9", it flipped off at his feet, but I went ahead and added it to his official total. Only one brown out of the bucnh today. I got some pictures of Craig casting and of the cool little red salamanders that hang out on this stream.

Craig, my picture of you and the fish that I took is blurry, I'll email it to you, but don't think I'll post it here. It was a pleasure getting to fish with you, and I'm looking forward to trying it again in the future. Hopefully Craig can post his fish pictures as he seemed to be the one taking those today.

Here's the salamander. Very photogenic.

Here's the master of the bow-and-arrow cast at work.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 PM

Nice to hear you guys had a great day! Wish I could have joined you both (Craig about talked me into it), but other obligations called. Craig and I had been talking about fishing this for a long while. He called while in Brevard on his way home and was very excited about the day! Hope I too can get to meet with you some day and we three get to do some fishing, until then tight lines!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM

It was a very challenging day indeed. We were forced to high stick to get fish all day long. I do felt that i came away a little better fisherman today, however. We managed to get lots of strikes but were a little late on the hook set as so often is the case. I do have to say that matt had the fish of the day, although he didn't land it. He cast beside a rock that was undercut and out came a big brown to take it. The fish looked to be very large, but with a few shakes the hook came loose.

As mentioned, the water was extremely low and definitely had an effect on fishing. We need some substantial rain in a bad way. If it's not already affecting the fish population, it probably will soon.

It was a pleasure to finally meet matt and he was a very accomplished and talented fisherman. I look forward to fishing with you again soon.

Craig

I believe that this was the hole the big brown came from.........

Matt high sticking a likely looking pool

Average fish for the day
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 AM

I fished courthouse creek four weeks ago and caught over 40 fish on a dry with a dropper. I fished the creek again a week ago and caught 6 with the same rig. To say the least I beleive the drought is really taking its toll on the fishing now. Well besides the slow day it looks like you guys picked a great day to be on the water.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the report guys!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Yeah i do believe that the low water was teh culprit. The fish weren't looking up at all, the only way we could get consisten strikes was to high stick through runs and pools. I have never fished this stream before, but matt said that it looked like a completely different river. I really enjoyed fishing the stream and with matt. Maybe when the water comes up, if it does, we can go back again sometime soon.

Craig
Old 06-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

WNCFLY,

Your recent experience on Courthouse is very interesting. It makes me feel better about our experience. For a while on Saturday I was beginning to think I had the little ability I have to catch a fish. I was telling Craig that this was the type of stream that you can expect to do pretty well on since it doesn't get tons of attention. At the beginning of the day I didn't say it to Craig, but I was thinking we were in for a 20+ fish day for each of us. At least we were in a beautiful stream on a beautiful day, and a few fish were caught. We fished a ways up, and passed a trib that flowed in from the right. The water downstream of this trib was low, but when we got above that it really seemed bad. We fished a little ways up, and just turned around and went downstream trying to find deeper water.

Craig,

We'll definitely keep an eye on water conditions and if things improve we'll head back there. I can already picture us having one of those days WNCFLY had a month or so back. Hopefully next time your uncle can join us for the journey.

Matt
Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM

I have fished that creek for years and it usually does pretty good. Seems fishing has slowed down everywhere. I did have some pretty good luck with some teresterials this weekend but nothing great.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Water levels have definitely put a damper on things. I've been trying to think of a place to go this weekend where maybe it wouldn't be quite so bad, but i'm drawing a blank. Let's hope we get some rain this week......

Craig
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Their calling for some rain up here this week, I am just not sure how much. I will take whatever we can get right now. There is one bright side to this heat and that's how nice it feels to wet wade. The other day it was so hot and fishing was so slow that me and my freind just put our fly rods down and took a dip in a nice deep hole. It was rather refreshing I might add!