Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-31-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Sage FLi 8wt/9wt rod

Anyone have any experience with these rods? Preference? I am also considering one of the TFO rods (Professional, TrCr, TrCrx). I am trying to remain economical, so rods in the 2x the price range are not likely. It seems whenever I go fishing the wind is there as well. I primarily fish in Fl flats (wading or by boat) but someone told me there are bonefish in San Diego where my daughter lives, sooooo.......

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reese

"..he walks in quiet solitude the forests and the streams
Seeking grace in every step he takes.."
Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 PM

I purchased a TFO 8wt 9ft Professional Lefty Kreh edition for the surf in S.C.
It took a while getting used to the larger rods. The rod really performed well in casting, and sensitivity. I put a batenkill mid arbor V reel on it which is extremely smooth and quiet. I don't know how it would handle in the flats, but I'm sure it is a good all around size.
Good luck,
Ben
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM

I have a 7 wt FLi, but haven't had a chance to take it fishing yet. It casts nice. It's a fast action rod.

I also have a 9wt TiCR. It's a little stiff and is made for casting longer distances, which it can easily do. Your best bet is to cast each one before buying either one.

KPOJ
Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM

Default tfo rods

I have owned both. The ticrx is really fast and stiff while the ticr is a little more forgiving but still fast. I compare it to the Thomas and Thomas horizon. The TICRX is a real good copy of the sage xi2. My suggestion is cast both and pick the one that fits your style of casting best.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the input. I live in FL and I had the chance yesterday to cast the Sage Fli 8 & 9 wt along with the TFO TiCrx 8wt. As Lefty says the TiCrx casts like a rocket. The guy at the shop asked which I liked best. My response was if I only fished for short periods, the TiCrx would be it but if I fished for long periods, the Sage Fli would have to be my choice. The TiCrx is a heavier rod and I could feel it. As Byron and others have said on another similar post, the fast rods do not perform as well in short distances as the slower rods. The Sage Fli 8 & 9 wts were able to make shorter casts and make the same distances as the TiCrx and are lighter rods.

On a previous occasion I compared the TiCr with the Sage Fli (both 8 wts) and the Fli felt better for me.

I think for my casting comfort the Sage Fli is it. The cost diiference is not that much especially if you consider the Fli includes a rod tube.

Now I have to decide 8 or 9 wt and what reel. It seems a reel weighing about 7.6 - 8 oz balances both rods at the handle pretty well with little rod tip wei9ght. Which reminds me, casting the TiCrx required a little more effort lifting the rod (tip and line seemed heavy) but oncle you got it up, it flew.

The reels I am thinking about are either an Orvis Mach mid arbor or large arbor or Ross CLA. Any experience in salt water environment with these? Maintenance may be more with the Orvis (from what I can tell from their recommendations).

I really appreciate the comments and this forum. It is like having a conversation with friends about one of the things that we enjoy doing most and it really helps in making a decision. Thanks LRO for your efforts!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM

Default System Two reel

Another choice is the SA System Two reel. It's a bit heavy but pretty much bullet proof. I use one on my 8-weight, holds plenty of backing, strong drag.

sb