Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Caney Fork June 29

I stopped by the Caney for an hour or two on the way home and the fishing was excellent. The fish have been a bit cautious lately but today they were feeding well and taking flies very nicely. They were all very healthy and full of fight. I hooked one big brown that was in the 20 inch range but had it throw the fly before I could get it on the reel. The consolation fish weren't bad though and made the time enjoyable...

The best fish landed was the brown pictured above and was in the 16 inch range. The river should fish very well (read easy...) for another day or two before it goes back to being tough for awhile. Oh yeah, I finally bought a spool of fluoro tippet material and I'm sold on the stuff!!! Kinda pricey but fishes well...

In other recent fishing, last weekend was a trip to East Tennessee with Kevin and Trevor to fish the SoHo and Watauga and I never got around to posting a report here. For those interested though there is a full report on my blog...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-29-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the report! I'm chomping at the bit to get back up there. I went to the park for a few hours Tuesday and did well with Mr. Tellico and my new weapon. It's actually tied with black thread. I must have been to lazy to change spools when I made it up.

On another note I took a bad spill Tuesday that actually turned me around and dumped me in a pretty big run. I had a fish on in the run ahead of me and was trying to move beside the fish before it got to cover. I fell moving over the run and bit it pretty hard, it was scary. I took a few minutes to compose myself and lick some moderate wounds. My legs are beat up, but it could have been worse. Guess I was lucky...
Old 06-30-2007, 05:02 AM

Default South Holston

Good morning guys, it seems like you had a great trip. I was guiding just down below you with a Father and Son that morning. I could see both of you in the set of riffles above us and you were cleaning house. The Sulfur hatch started and Boy, did the fish really get turned on! I'm glad that your trip turned out so well and that you got to fish the Watauga as well. Great report David!
Kevin, sorry about the fall. I still remember the jarring that I took on the day we were together. I'll be back on the So Ho in a couple of hours. I hope that you fellas get out today.
Hugh
Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 AM

david, nice report. I need to get back over there sometime. long drive though..

kevin, so your new fly works in the smokies as well? were you using the one with/or without the peacock? I'll have to tie me up some of those. did you think up a name for it yet?

hugh, we thought that might be you down there below us. that was my first time out on the south holston. it was a great time. the sulphur hatch was the best I'd ever seen. question: do hoppers ever come off that long grassy bank? a few times I saw, not rises, but monstrous strikes up by the bank. I reasoned that something large must've come out from the grass and into the water. I tried a small hopper pattern, had one strike, but that was about it. also, after reading in your reports about getting food at webb's, we decided to eat there for lunch. when we got there, the guy said they were closed, and all the food was put up, but he could make us some ham sandwiches. to tell you the truth, a little old ham sandwich didn't sound that appealing after a long stretch of fishing. this sandwich, however, was amazing, and had on it the ripest, best tasting tomato I've ever eaten. that tomato had to have been homegrown.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 AM

Default South Holston

Trevor,I didn't realize that was you in the group. Aren't those Sulfur hatches something to behold. They just cause fish to go crazy. I have heard of others trying hopper patterns thru the section that you mentioned and I don't know how effective they really are. There is so much fishing activity that goes on along that stretch that they have got to be spooky at all times and you would have to catch it just right. I've seen those slashing rises that you mentioned and thought the same thing. I would hate to drag a new client out to the bank from having a heart attack, if the connected with one of those monsters. I'll be back in that section in just a short time and wish us luck. I hope to get to meet all of you on the stream sometime.
Hugh
Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 AM

Trevor... I definitely works in the park, and I haven't got a name yet. I used it with Hurl in the park, but but I caught fish with, and without last Sunday. I tied some #18's w/o Hurl & some #16's with Hurl for the next trip.

Hugh... I was up ahead of Trevor and David, but all three of us were into fish pretty hard. It was a great time. I've got a really cool nymph that I made up that is working like crazy as a dropper. It's a neat combination, and I'm sure in your 50+ years of fishing there are very few flies that you haven't seen, but I'll take a pic next week and email it to you. Let me know how original you think it is...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Kevin, glad you're okay after the fall. I've taken a few nasty falls in the park where I had to just sit down for a few moments. Not a fun experience and one that makes you realize how careful you have to be when fishing alone. BTW, you need to come over to the Caney sometime, these fish are really looking good...

Hugh, you are so lucky to live close to the SoHo. That river is absolutely incredible and I wish I could spend more time on it. I thought that might be you below us. Hopefully one of these times I'll be able to meet you...

Trevor, if you want to fish the Caney again, plan on this fall. It can be a great time of year on that river if you hit it at the right time and this fall should be amazing.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM

I have to get to the Caney soon. it's been 3 weeks and I'm starting to forget how to cast. Nice pictures.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 PM

Heyski, give me a holler if you want someone to fish with sometime. You can find my email under the "profile" on my blog...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Still fishing good...

Went down for another couple hours today. The fishing wasn't quite as fast paced as last time but still very good. Missed another large brown, just a little too slow on the hookset this time. Here's a couple that decided to play...