Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Slough Creek Outfitters Montana ????

Any info on these folks?? I'm thinking of going up to the 3rd Meadow on one of their horses and fish an afternoon in early September.

Any thoughts, ideas, warnings, or suggestions would be appreciated!!

best ones!

L
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 AM

sure don't, but have walked to the second meadow twice, you will enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Never used the outfitters, but would suggest getting bear spray and take lots of hoppers, beetles, and ant patterns for all those big cutts in the river. A 20" cutt. would be alot of fun on that Babb rod!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM

We did the same trip a couple of years ago and used Beartooth Plateau Outfitters in Cooke City, Mt. I would use them again. Super nice people.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Default RE: Beartooth Plateau Outfitters

THANKS All!! btw it looks as though Beartooth Plateau Outfitters stop their Yellowstone fishing/horse trips on August 31
df
Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Slough Creek

Leinart,
We were out there the week before last. I will tell you quickly what we found. As Byron mentioned in the fishing report, runnoff was early. We found Soda Butte clear as well as the Lamar. Slough Creek was beautiful, we only hiked to the first Meadow, took about 45 minutes. The fish started rising about 10:30 to PMD's. A size 16 dun on 6x (started with 4x and a size 18 sparkle dun)was the ticket, the bugs were very light and the frogs fanny or Shamizaki lightened them up enough to fool the cuts. Had to cast from the other side of the creek to (to risers feeding in the bends which are deep) get a rise. We heard about Gray drakes as well, but did not have enough luck on those to stick with them. We caught cuts up to 17" that day. Things will likely be different when you go, you might check with Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, or you may have a favorite fly shop.
We fished several places as well, let me know if you want the full report! Being at work this week has really been a chore! I will recommend a book that is fantastic for the Park; Something in the title about fishing Yellowstone. The authors are Matthews and Molinaro (sp?) great book and information. I bet LRO has it in-stock.
Have fun!
John
Old 07-05-2007, 04:31 PM

I did a trip with them about 7 years ago. Pretty good for the horseback part. They are not fishing guides or were not when I was there. I think this is the same outfitter. It was run by the Bowers family. hoppers and ants are great. Don't forget some small parachute adams 22-24. These worked well. I had a lot of hookups but landed only a few.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Thanks--found the book!

Yellowstone Fly Fishing Guide ...
by Craig Mathews and Clayton Mollinero. ""Craig and Clayton have long been known for their intimate knowledge of all of Yellowstone Park's waters, including the overlooked and unknown. This comprehensive guide to all Yellowstone National Park waters is a staple for anyone heading this way.""