Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Florida -- Tampa Bay

I don't have a whole lot of experience with salt water fly fishing, but I have to go to Tampa on business often enough that I'm considering a 4-piece rod to take with me. What I have in mind is wading in Tampa Bay. Specifically I'm thinking of a TFO Pro 8-weight, since I have a couple of 2-piece rods in 7- and 9-weight. They don't pack as easily and they're pretty slow. What could I expect to catch there, sea trout?

I get to Louisiana a couple of times a year also, for reds and trout, and I could see this rod being useful in Michigan if I can make another salmon or steelhead trip.

Anyone have any input, either as to my chances in Tampa area, choice of rod or rod size?

I've seen the TFO TiCr (X?) and it's nice but I don't know if that's worth the extra $100 for the amount of use I'd give it.

Thanks.

sb
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Steve,

I've only fished around Tampa Bay a couple of times and not with great success (that is more my fault than the fishing qualities). You should be able to catch redfish, sea trout, lady fish, jack etc. Look into Fort Desota State Park when you are down there. It is at the southern end of St Petersburg, near the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. There is some wade fishing to be done there.

Between the Professional 8wt and the TiCR or TiCRX you should really cast them to see which works better for you. The TiCR & X are much faster action rods. Byron and Paula both prefer the action of the Professional series for their 9wt rods.

Daniel
Old 07-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Headed to Tampa

I'm heading to Tampa Monday morning. Looks like Ft. DeSoto park is the place to go. Tables say high tide is in early afternoon, so I don't know exactly what water conditions I'll find, but we will see.

Meanwhile, have to tie some Clousers this weekend. Have a few redfish flies left from last trip to Louisiana -- between those and the Clousers maybe I can interest something.

Ended up getting a Scott A2, 4-piece 8-weight. Pretty dang nice rod, seems to be capable of shooting more line than I'm able to manage. And it'll be much easier to haul thru the airport than my old 2-piece rods. That reminds me, anyone have any issues with airlines letting you carry a 4-piece on board?

sb
Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 AM

Default traveling with 4 piece

Steve,
I flew in June and it was no problem, at one connection they had me gate check, but other than that I carried it on. I actually had one big tube for three piece rods. You should have no problem.
Check your other tackle though, I lost all of my saltwater flies once coming back from a trip (~200 flies)! They threatened to confiscate my reels as well, but did let them through. Since then I check the rest and carry the rods.
Hope you have a good trip,
John