Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Popper colors??

This is a question for my own personal use and also to have a better idea of what all of you would like to see on the Fly Wall.

I know chartreuse poppers and Sneaky Pete poppers work well. What other colors do you like for smallmouth, largemouth and panfish?

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 PM

for bluegil poppers I realy like bumblebee colors(black and yellow stripes) for bass frog colors(green and chartreuse stripes)
Old 07-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Best premade poppers

Daniel, I like the Walts Poppers from Brookside flies. I haven't found them locally but are the best commercially tied poppers I've ever used. Excellent sharp hooks and tough paintjobs. My personal favorite is the #6 and #8 Black w/olive fish scale and chartreuse rubber legs. The plain black w/ white legs and the Chartreuse w/ black are also excellent colors. I've caught lots of smallies, largemouths and gills on on these flies.
Eddie W. up in JC carries them and I try to stock up whenever I visit the area, but would buy them from you if you carried them!
This is a bluegill on a #8 walts black w/olive fish scale.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Troutman,

When you get time please log onto the Brookside Flies site and check out Walt's Poppers. I would like to know what sizes and colors you would recommend. I like this company and we would like to do business with them. This could be a start. Also, what price are you paying for these poppers?

http://www.brooksideflies.com/

Thanks, Byron
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Walt's poppers

I only buy them in size 6,8,10 for the Little River type streams and fishing with a 4-6 wt rod. The size 2 flies would be better with 7-8 wt rods. I wouldn't even carry the tiny #12 poppers, you only seem to get strikes from the tiny fish off them.
My favorite is the Black w/ olive fish scale in a #6 or #8 . I also carry black w/white rubber legs and chartruse w/white legs, using a #10 when the water is low and clear. They are great on the bluegills and redbreast also. Never had much luck around here with the carolina blue color. I would like to try the Chartruse and black hackle because contrasting colors seem to work best but They always seem to be sold out.
I think the retail price on #6-10 poppers were $2.20-$2.50 and the large #4-#2 were about $3.50 each
I didn't see them on the site, but they make them in sliders also. Hope this helps. BTW That largemouth bass pict on the WW photo board was caught on a size 6 walts popper, black w/olive fish scale.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks Gary,

We'll get them in immediately. I think the Carolina Blue works well in Virginia for some reason for Smallmouth. I have the price list right here and I don't see the sliders. I'll ask the salesman what the deal is on those. We are expanding our popper body department. I ordered a lot of new foam bodies and most came in except the white. They are pre-formed like the pencil popper bodies you buy here but they are short and fat if that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Byron
Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

Great news! That will most definitely save me from having to drive all the way to JC for them. If I didn't have to go buy new school shoes for both my kids, I'd be up tommorrow before it gets picked over! Why can't kids just go barefoot during the summer vacation like we used to do!