Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624
Post Yellowstone National Park

My family and I were planning a trip to Yellowstone sometime next summer. We need help planning where to fish and to stay. If you can provide any help on what rivers and flies to use I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Yellowstone Info.

Dailey,
There are a few other threads going now on this subject. You might want to just scroll down through the Fly Fishing for Trout in other States section, you will see several threads with comments.
Have fun,
Such an awesome place. Make the drive to the Lamar Valley and if possible make the hike into Slough Creek (easy 45 minutes hike to the first meadow).
Best,
John
Old 07-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

If you can get reservations for the Old Faithful Inn, I highly recommend it. I have stayed at the Old Faithful Inn, Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. You will need to make those reservations ASAP!

If you are looking for some fun, try the Montana White Water Company in Gardiner Montana. www.montanawhitewater.com I floated with them several times and it was always a good time.

From what I have read on this site, check out the fly shops in West Yellowstone for the best advise on what to use.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM

I think someone may have mentioned in an earlier thread, the Book By Molinero and Mathews, The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide which highlights most of the lakes and rivers in Yellowstone gives a brief description of each one. This is a great source of info and a wise investment, in my opinion.

My wife and I are headed out that way in a few short weeks and will likely take a float trip on the Madison.

check out www.blueribbonflies.com
Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 PM

If you want to stay in the park and IF you can get in..I second the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. Sitting out front, enjoying a drink and the view was magical.

If you want to stay outside the park and be close to excellent fishing (and no crowds) stay outside the NE entrance in Silvergate or Cooke City. I've stayed in the Grizzly it's dated but clean and handy. I've also stayed in the log cabin cabins across the street. Nice view and comforable but the shower wasn't made for a 'husky' guy. Soda Butte, Lamar, Trout Lake and Slough Creek all within a quick drive. (if you don't get behind a bunch of bison)

Blue Ribbon Flies over in West Yellowstone is a must do stop. First time we stopped I went in and the wife was walking our GSP out front and they insisted both come in and visit.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Blue Ribbon Flies-West Yellowstone

Second that! Craig Matthews is great guy, the shop is not nearly as nice as Little River's though. I felt like I had a new best friend after briefly meeting Matthews. Get him to sign a copy of the book as well!
Have a great time,
John