Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Lake fishing for smallies

Going over to Chilhowee lake ( Abrams creek area) tommorrow morning to paddle around and "try" for some Smallies. Anyone want to meet up and either share paddling duties or bring along your own craft? I've got room for one in my kayak.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 PM

I am going to fish in the morning but have not decided where. I have a gheenoe style boat with a trolling motor. What time are you looking at being up that way?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM

I "plan" on being at the put-in at the abrams creek embayment bridge around 8am. Look for a Red Jeep.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:19 AM

as you can see by the time of the post it is a little late. I just got in from my part time job. I still plan on fishing somewhere. I might run into ya.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:22 AM

I would be jumping all over this but I have to work at the store in the morning tomorrow. I am planning a long float trip on Sunday rain or shine for some smallies. Hope you do well though.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM

Work always seems to get in the way of my fishing time also! Since the freestone rivers are so low, I thought I would give this a shot today. Hope to have a good report later this evening. Time to go!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Default decent fishing today

I went over to Chilhowee lake this morning and paddled up to abrams creek. The water temp. where it flows into the lake was 70 deg. and was slightly low. The fishing was tough due to a constant wind blowing me out of casting positions all day. I didn't catch any smallies, but did catch alot of redbreast sunfish. They were very healthy and brightly colored. The largest was 9.5". I left the lake about 2:30 and drove back over the parkway and decided to stop and fish the little river for a little while. Put in at the dam and paddled upstream aways and started catching redbreast again. I finally started spotting juvenile smallies upstream and started working the banks with a yellow popper. I caught about 6 smallies in about a 50 yd stretch of river and the last one was being followed by 2 very large smallmouth. They will sometimes do that hoping to grab any food that is spit out by the other fish. I've seen this happen several times. The day was full of great scenery and colorful fish once again. A few picts from today.......Troutman

Chilhowee redbreast...

Little river provided the days smallies....

Last fish of the day.....
Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 AM

great looking fish over on chilhowee
Old 07-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Oh man, they're beautiful. I love to catch those Redbreast, and nice smallie
also! We went Thursday evening, terrible conditions. The water is lower than I've seen in a while on the Staunton here in VA. Gin clear too and of course
that's promoting tons of Algae growth. We caught 8 Smallies and about 12-14 Redbreast. The Smallmouth were young ones, all about 8-10 inches maybe.
I went to the nearest shop Saturday and got a Sage Launch 6 wt. 9 foot, set it up with a Ross and some sage WF line and tried it out on the pond
yesterday, cast so much better than the 5 WT I had. I hope to use this one
some on the Smallies as the bite picks up this fall. Anyhow you all have a good day and God bless.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Bran, if you plan another trip this way, try to come when the falls colors are at peak around the 3rd week of Oct. Bring the canoe and paddle this lake. It has some of the best scenery and no traffic jams. The water gets crystal clear with about 20-25 ft. of visabilty and you can see the smallies swimming in schools. The next trip I take over there, I am going to hike up the lower abrams creek and look for spawning browns this fall. Its only 20-25 miles from Townsend area.