Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Montana questions

I am planning to book a trip to montana for a little fly fishing maybe this time next year and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some info on outfitters and places to stay and places to fish. I am looking for something for probably 3 or 4 days at least.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 PM

ONE WORD--> BIGHORN. If I had only couple days, I'd concentrate there.

A FEW WARNINGS- 1) In the west, distances between locales are so far apart you can easily spend more time traveling than fishing. This can happen even within Yellowstone Park. My recommendation is to limit yourself to one or two locales and get to know them. 2)Also some of the best fishing I've had there has been on less well known rivers make contacts with local flyshops.Find out where the guys behind the counters fish! 3) A number of rivers- Madison, Firehole, Lamar, Slough, Soda Butte in Yellowstone are heating up up to 70's by afternoon and voluntary closures have started to take place from noon till 6:00pm, these will probably become manditory. This has been an almost YEARLY occurence. Be flexible if planning on fishing a snow fed river. The Bighorn is a tailwater. I have never caught so many big trout (average 15-16 inches) in my life. I had the son of a former high school friend who lived in the area, who took off a couple days to "guide" us. I actually got tired of fishing. We camped and stayed at the Cottonwood Campground. They also have cabins, guides, or will provide a drift boat. Fantastic people to work with and cater to fishermen. There was a flyshop- motel there also in Ft. Smith that burned- so I am not sure of facilities. If you go there, I would suggest bring ample gear, extra rod and reel as there isn't much else there.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Thumbs up Montana Fishing

If interested in a location close to a lot of water, West Yellowstone is good. Lodging, 4 or 5 fly shop willing to give information, and lots of guides. I have been the last four years in September always with good success. Most of the vacationers have left by mid September.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Montana choices

Hey DD7676,
I'm with Kytroutbum on this one. If you decide to go to the Bighorn, try it sometime along the very last of July or the first week in August. Most of the days that I've spent on the river have been then. The caddis hatch is probably the most consistent hatch in the summertime there. Also, hoppers are getting rev'd up. In years when the yellow sallies are numerous, you can find fish looking up all day. A side trip to the Bighorn Mtns. is a special treat here. Ft Smith is very limited with services so plan ahead. I will be driving out there the last two weeks of October for some Cast n Blast. Good luck if you go.

mstone
Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Yellowstone.. West Yellowstone for great fly shops.. Blue Ribbon is the best of the best. NE Yellowstone for great fishing and few tourist. I've been in the Lamar Valley the last 3 summers around the first of Aug and have never had a problem with water temps. I was in Twim Bridges last summer (never again) before heading to Yellowstone and it was hot, dry and windy. Several of the rivers around there were closed noon to 6 because of temps.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
Yellowstone.. West Yellowstone for great fly shops.. Blue Ribbon is the best of the best. NE Yellowstone for great fishing and few tourist. I've been in the Lamar Valley the last 3 summers around the first of Aug and have never had a problem with water temps. I was in Twim Bridges last summer (never again) before heading to Yellowstone and it was hot, dry and windy. Several of the rivers around there were closed noon to 6 because of temps.

What was your problems with Twin Bridges? That is one of the areas I was thinking of going.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Twin Bridges.. if you want to fish the area stay over in Dillion! temps close to 100 everyday and endless wind), no lodging with a/c (beware of internet pictures) limited food options (but both places I must say were good) limited drinking options. one fly shop (if you could get the guys off the computer in the back room). in the dead of summer the higher altitude of the park area was much more to my liking. your mileage may vary.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 PM

Hey all,

Heading to Bozeman/West Yellowstone next Saturday and it looks like the fishing is going to be early only inside the park. Which fly shop is the most likely to openly give some good advice on some spots not in all the guide books? It sounds like the Gallatin is still fishable in the canyon, but I wanted a few other places to try, just in case.

Thanks,

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Check the Yellowstone Park Web site for a map of steam closers. Tight line 3 weeks and counting for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Bozeman

I am currently interning here in Bozeman MT and I have been here since early May. Water temps are extremely high right now. Check the Montana FWP government site for all of the details. No matter where you go out here now, you have to get on the water before 8am because there is really no action after 1 or 2pm. Upper Maddison is great right now pretty much all day and the Beaver Head is also pretty decent right now. Also, carp fishing is pretty good on the Missouri River. I work at the Gallatin River Lodge and we have great guides and upscale lodging. Im only here for about another week though and Im looking forward to hitting the smokies again.