Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE
Default New Tailwater

I am considering fishing a new tailwater i have never fished. My 2 opions are the Holston and Hiwassee. Which Tailwater do you recommend me trying? What flies? Are there access points on these rivers that are fishable?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM

I'd say both!

Eventually anyway.

Both have their own little highlights and both are fishing very well right now.

The Hiwassee does have a lot public access, more so than any other tailwater in TN, and it can also be safley waded (in numerous select places) on any flow from the powerhouse, which includes the famous "two or more".

The Holston sports a better average fish than the HI, however access is limited and you wouldn't want to be caught "DEAD" out there when the generators are turning.

I'd say study the flow schedules and hit them both when you can. Both are fine tailwaters, included in all the other great tailwaters we are blessed with here in the Volunteer State.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Seeking Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
I'd say both!

Eventually anyway.

Both have their own little highlights and both are fishing very well right now.

The Hiwassee does have a lot public access, more so than any other tailwater in TN, and it can also be safley waded (in numerous select places) on any flow from the powerhouse, which includes the famous "two or more".

The Holston sports a better average fish than the HI, however access is limited and you wouldn't want to be caught "DEAD" out there when the generators are turning.

I'd say study the flow schedules and hit them both when you can. Both are fine tailwaters, included in all the other great tailwaters we are blessed with here in the Volunteer State.

RockyRacoon,

Thank you for the information. I think I'll try the HI soon. Do you recommend fishing closer to the dam? Also, you mentioned some select spots that are wadable during generation....is there an area that I might try if generation is on.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Up near the powerhouse is a good place to wade while the generators are turning.

I know that sounds silly but it's true.

The Hiwassee Tailwater does not begin at the foot of Apalachia Dam, Instead it begins about 12 miles downstream where water piped from the dam comes out of the side of a mountain and drops into the powerhouse.

IF you can find Reliance on the map (Off of hwy 411 on hwy 30), just cross the river bridge in Reliance (also known as hwy 315 or Tellico/Reliance Road). Take the first right across the bridge (Childers Creek), take the next right you come to at the old Adams Fly Shop, follow the rd about 200 yards and veer right at the signs. Now your in the ball park, just continue driving until you see water you want to fish (if the waters off), or continue upstream toward the Powerhouse.

The road will dead end so park at the culdesac. Walk up the trail and you'll find a neat suspension bridge. Cross the bridge and look downstream. The weedbeds on the powerhouse side of the river (also known as trackside due to the old L&N train line) are wadable with care from the Powerhouse all the way downstream to the area across from the powerhouse boat ramp (probably 1/4 mile or so).

Also, you can hike down the railroad track (take care to listen for trains as a tourist train is now running a couple times a day out of Etowah) for a mile to the area known as Fox's Cabin. There's a nice shelf there located across the river from the rock wall (a landmark you can't miss) or as it's more commonly known "great wall of corn".

Hope this helps and remember, the waters off most days untill 11. This means waters downstream of Reliance will not see flows until after 2pm or so.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Rockyracoon,
Thank you for all the info!! My dad told me there is a campground off of HWY 411..do u kno the name of this campground and any information about it?

Thanks!